National Current Affairs
Arogya Raksha Scheme to cover APL Families
- Arogya Raksha Scheme to provide the medical treatment to the people of the Above Poverty Line at Rs. 1200 premium per annum.
- Arogya Raksha Scheme would provide health insurance coverage to about 35 Lakh Above Poverty Linefamilies in the state.
- An end-to-end cashless service would be rendered to a total of 1044 diseasescovered under the scheme. Unlike other insurance schemes preexisting disease will not be considered.
- To avail the Arogya Raksha scheme benefits, every individual of the family would be required to pay 100 per month or Rs. 1200 per annum as policy premium.
India and Pakistan signs agreement on the Prohibition of Attack against Nuclear Installations and Facilities
- India and Pakistan exchanged the list of nuclear installations and facilities covered under the Agreement on the Prohibition of Attack against Nuclear Installations between India and Pakistan
- The agreement prohibits the two countries to carry out any surprise attack and pledged not to assist foreign powers to attack each other’s atomic facilities.
- The two countries also exchanged lists of prisoners(including civil prisoners and fishermen) of each country captured in their respective jails as per provisions of the Agreement on Consular Access.
Maharashtra Government Bans use of Purse Seine Nets for Fishing
- Maharashtra Government has declared to ban the use of Purse Seine Nets for fishing across Maharashtra to safeguard the Fingerlings, a fish species.
- Move is aimed at curbing the exploitation of fish by safeguarding the fingerlings and its eggs to increase their population.
- Decision is expected to benefit the traditional fisherman community that use much smaller nets in shallow waters. It will increase fish catch and protect the fish population as larger pores will allow fishlings and eggs to slip out during the daily catch.
Seeking Votes in the name of caste, language or religion is Corrupt and not Permissible
- Supreme Court on January 1, 2017 ruled out that no politician can seek votes in the name of caste, language or religion and seeking votes in this manner would be considered as a corrupt practice and not permissible.
- Court’s bench agreed by a 4:3 majority and stated that elections are a secular exercise and religion has no role in it and that the relationship between people and whom they worship is an individual choice.
International Current Affairs
British govt to launch new one-pound coin at end of March
- New coin will have 12-sided shape,recognizable even by touch and it is made of two metals, the outer ring is gold-coloured (nickel-brass) and the inner ring is silver-coloured (nickel-plated alloy).
- It will feature the 5th coinage portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
BSF to Soon Install Laser Walls and Smart Sensors at Indo-Bangla Border
- Laser walls and smart sensors will be soon installed at the Indo-Bangla International Border in West Bengal especially in the porous riverine and unmanned terrain that do not have proper fencing to keep a tight vigil to check infiltration and terrorism.
- The paramilitary force use the Farheen laser wall technology at the Indo-Pakistan border and that has benefited through better management of the borders.
Business & Economy
26 crore accounts open under Jan Dhan Yojana across country
- 26 crore three lakh accounts have been opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) across the country till date.
- 86 crore accounts are opened in rural area and 10.17 crore accounts opened in urban area.
- Over 71 thousand 500 crore rupees have been deposited in these accounts and zero balance accounts has come down to 23.86 per cent.
Bank of Baroda ties up with CNX Corporation
- Bank of Baroda has announced a partnership with CNX Corporation (CNX) to provide collateral management servicestowards the loans against warehouse receipt sanctioned to the farmers through the network of the bank’s branches across the country.
- This will benefit the farmers from distress sale of their commodities
Pakistan awards Nishan-e-Imtiaz to Army chief Qamar Bajwa
- Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa was honored with Nishan-e-Imtiaz to recognize his valuable services in Islamabad.
- Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Zubair Mahmood Hayat was also awarded with Nishan-e-Imtiaz (military).
- Nishan-e-Imtiaz is one of the state organized civil decorations of State of Pakistan.
PSPCL awarded with Best Performing Power Distribution Utility in Power Sector by CBIP
- Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) was awarded with “Best Performing Power Distribution Utility in Power Sector” by Central Board of Irrigation & Power (CBIP).
- Punjab is first state to provide unique phone number 1912for registration of all types of complaints across 24X7 by phone and sms.
People in News
SC removes BCCI President Anurag Thakur
- Supreme Court has removed BCCI President Anurag Thakurand Secretary Ajay Shirke from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for failing to implement the reforms suggested by the RM Lodha panel to reform BCCI.
- The Lodha committee was formed in January, 2015 by the Supreme Court to suggest sweeping reforms in the structuring and governance of cricket in the country.
- Supreme Court observed that the BCCI and state board officials have failed to implement its orders to bring transparency and accountability in the cricket body.
- Anurag Thakur was charged for committing perjury, that is he was found guilty of lying under oath in an attempt to obstruct the Lodha Committee reforms.
President Appoints Prof. David R. Syiemlieh to Chair UPSC
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed David R. Syiemlieh, to perform the duties of the post of Chairman of Union Public Service Commission
- The Union Public Service Commission is India’s central agency authorized to conducts exam for IAS (Indian Administrative Services), IPS (Indian Police Services) IFS (Indian Forest Services), IES (Indian Engineering Services), SCRA (Special Class Railway Apprentice) etc.
Air Marshal SB Deo takes over as Vice Chief of the Air Staff of Indian Air Force
- Air Marshal SB Deotaking over as Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCAS) at the Air Headquarters
- Air Marshal SB Deo was commissioned as a fighter pilot in the IAF on 15 Jun 79.
- Prior to this he was the AOC-in-C of Western Air Command (WAC).
- He was awarded with Param Vishisht Seva Medal, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Vayu Sena Medal, Vishisht Seva Medal and ADC by the President of India.
Akhilesh Yadav Dismisses Shivpal and appoints Naresh Uttam as Party’s Chief
- Akhilesh Yadav has removed Shivpal Singh Yadav as Samajwadi Party’s Chief and appointed MLC Naresh Uttam in his place.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav was declared the supreme guide or margdarshak of the party, to advise the new leadership.
Science & Technology
India Successfully Test Fires Agni IV Ballistic Missile off Odisha Coast
- India successfully conducted the test firing of the nuclear-capable strategic ballistic missile, Agni IV from the Abdul Kalam Island, Balasore, off the Odisha coast
- Agni IV is a two-stage solid-propelled, surface-to-surface ballistic missile which is designed to carry a payload of 1-tonne up to a distance of 4,000 km.
- Designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) the missile is 20 meters in length and weighs 17 tonnes.
- The DRDO is reportedly in the process of building Agni-VI, which will have a strike range of 8,000 km to 10,000 km.
MUI Launches Android App for Indian Merchant Navy Officers
- Maritime Union of India (MUI),representing Indian Merchant Navy Officers since 1939,has launched an android based mobile app named
- The app will help Indian merchant navy officers to share, comment, knowledge, latest updates, and also engage in video chats to bolster the growth of skilled Indian seafarers working aboard specialized cargo ships across the globe.
- App will also share regular information on various initiatives including the updates related to joint initiatives and latest representation by MUI and National Union of Seafarers of India.
World’s most powerful Rocket Falcon Heavy by SpaceX
- Falcon Heavy rocket have the ability to lift over 54 metric tons(119,000 lbs) into orbit, which is equivalent to 737 jetliners loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel.
- This rocket is designed to carry humans into space and it restores the possibility of flying missions with a crew to the Moon or Mars.
Ministry of Minority Affairs Launches Mobile App for Haj Pilgrimage
- Minister of State for Minority Affairs (I/C) and Parliamentary Affairs launched a Mobile App that will provide information and facilitate e-payments for the pilgrimage.
- It is for the first time that Haj application process would be digital.
- The app features the information regarding the application for Haj, enquiry and information, news and updates and e-payment. The application can be made directly on the app.
- Five adults and two infants can apply as a group. Registration fees can also be paid through this app.
Sports Current Affairs
Sergey Karjakin beats Magnus Carlsen to clinch World Blitz Chess Championship
- Sergey Karjakin of Russia defeated Norway’s Magnus Carlsen in a tie-breaker to win Gold in the World Blitz Chess Championship title
- Both players scored 5 points at the end of 21 rounds of competition spread over two days in the shortest format of chess.
- This is Karjakin’s first world title in blitz chess in his career while Carlsen has won it twice, in 2009 and in 2014.
Former Captain Ricky Ponting named Australia’s assistant coach for Twenty20 Series
- Former Australian Captain Ricky Ponting will join Australia’s coaching staff as an assistant to coach the team for next month’s home Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka.
- Ponting will work along with former team-mates Justin Langer and Jason Gillespie.
- It is Ponting’s first chance to coach the national side. The 42-year-old previously coached the Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League, leading the T20 side to a championship in 2015.
Download : 3rd January, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )