Download : 2nd February, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Amitabh Kant Inaugurates India Innovation Index in New Delhi
- The Indian Policy Think Tank, NITI Aayog together with Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)\has launched a first of its kind online portal.
- The Index would rank Indian states as per their innovation capability and provide them necessary feedback to build their respective innovation ecosystems and further instill innovation spirit among institutions and people.
- The index would consider Global Innovation Index indicators and other India–centric data from various states to determine the ranking which will be updated periodically.
31st Surajkund International Crafts Mela being held in Gurgaon
- Haryana Chief Minister inaugurated the 31st Surajkund International Crafts Mela in
- 2017 Surajkund International Crafts Mela is known as‘Cashless Mela’ because all stakeholders have been provided option to opt for cashless transactions.
- The freedom fighter Jharkhand Birsa Munda’s statue has been constructed and people from 21 countries are expecting to participate at the mela.
Neeti Mohan collaborates with United Nations for women empowerment
- Noted Indian singer Neeti Mohanto collaborate with UN for women empowerment project titled “Music To Inspire – Artists UNited Against Human Trafficking” which is managed by the
- Neeti is the first Indian female singer to collaborate with UN.
- She has composed Udne De as a tribute to all the women and in support of equality for all.
- Over 60 renowned artists and dignitaries from various countries have collaborated with Rukus Avenue to participate in the “Music To Inspire – Artists UNited Against Human Trafficking”.
- Some of the other notable participants are AR Rahman, former President Jimmy Carter, actress Tatyana Ali and bands include Joss Stone, Michael Franti, Vanessa Carlton, Anoushka Shankar, Ellis Hall, Garbage, Karmin.
India & Sri Lanka signs MoU for multi-ethnic tri-lingual Secondary School
- India and Sri Lanka has signed an MoU for the construction of a multi-ethnic tri-lingual school in a north central district of the island nation.
- The school would provide an opportunity to Sinhala, Tamil and Muslim students to learn in a multi-cultural environment and thus promote reconciliation and unity in Sri Lanka.
- The MoU was signed between India’s High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Taranjit Singh Sandhu and Secretary to the Ministry of Education Sunil Hettiarachchi.
- Under the project class rooms, laboratories and library would be constructed as well as furniture and other equipment would be procured.
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Indian School of Business Ranked Top Indian B-School in FT Global MBA Ranking 2017
- The 2017 Financial Times Global MBA ranking was released on January 30, 2017. This year 4 Indian Business Schools have been listed in the World’s 100 best Full Time MBA Programme List.
- The Four Schools listed includes:Indian School of Business (ISB), Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA), Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) and Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC)
SAARC Programming Committee Meeting Concluded in Kathmandu
- SAARCs 53rd Programming Committee Meeting began in Kathmandu .
- The two day meeting was attended by joint secretary/director general of the eight member nations.
- The main area of discussion revolved around Budget allocation for the management of SAARC.
- The meeting hosted by Nepal was in the name of 19th Summit which was earlier scheduled to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016. However, the country postponed the Summit over Nepal.
- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan too declined attending the Summit. As a result Pakistan announced postponing summit to Nepal.
Kuwait Suspends Visa for 5 Muslim-majority Countries
- Kuwait has banned the Visas for five Muslim majority countries on February 1, 2017 over security issues.
- The five countries include Syria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- The suspension of the Visas was taken to stop illegal entry of Islamic terrorists in the country.
- The ban would apply on any reason of visit ranging from tourism, visit and trade visas as well as visas sponsored by spouses.
U.K. Parliament Clears Brexit Bill with 498 Votes
- Britain’s Prime Minister successfully held the first stage of passing the Bill in the Parliament to pull Britain out of the European Union.
- The Bill would now allow the government to trigger Article 50 of the EU’s Lisbon Treaty which the Supreme Court ruled that PM could not take that decision alone.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
HSBC Estimates India’s GDP Growth at 7.1% in 2017-18
- HSBC has estimated the GDP growth rate of Indiaat 1 percent for the year 2017-18 which is up from the 6.3 percent in the year 2016-17.
- The main reason for this increase is cited to sufficient remonetizationby April end, thus boosting the consumption level in the country to normal.
NABARD Sanctions Rs 157 crore Loan to Haryana for Drinking Water Project
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development sanctioned a loan amount of 157 crore to the Government of Haryana to undertake drinking water project.
- Under the project, the government would undertake drinking water supply scheme in 84 villages of districts Palwal and Faridabad.
- As per the project, portable drinking water would be supplied in selected villages in blocks Prithla, Palwal and Ballabhgarh from Yamuna flood plain by constructing ranney wells and deep tubewells.
India and World Bank signs Financing Agreement Worth US$ 201.50 Million for TEQIP III
- The Government of India has signed a USD 201.50 million credit agreement with the World Bank to improve the quality and equity of engineering education across several states in India.
- The agreement signed was for the third phase of the Technical Education Quality Improvement Project (TEQIP III).
- The project aims to strengthen engineering education in low-income group, hill states and states of the North East.
- TEQIP III will support nearly 200 engineering education institutes across India to produce higher quality engineers.
PEOPLE IN NEWS
Godrej Properties elevates Pirojsha Godrej as Chairman, Adi Godrej to be Chairman Emeritus
- Godrej Properties elevated Pirojsha Godrej as Executive Chairman and Adi Godrej assuming the charge as Chairman Emeritus position of the company.
- The company has also appointed Karan Bolaria as CEO of the company.
India’s SpiceJet Honored at Asia One Awards in Singapore
- SpiceJet made record by winning awards in three prime categories at the Asia One Awards held in Singapore.
- The low-cost airline was honoured as the ‘Asia’s Greatest Brands – 2016’.
- Chairman and Managing Director of SpiceJet, Mr. Ajay Singh, was honored with the title of the ‘Global Asian of the year’, 2016.
- The Chief Financial Officer Mr. Kiran Koteshwar won the award for ‘Asia’s Greatest CFO 2016’.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Chinese Scientists Develop New TB-resistant Cows
- Scientists from China’s Northwest A&F University have developed a genetically modified form of cows that are more resistant to bovine tuberculosis (TB).
- The cloned cattle were created using a genome editing tool known as CRISPR. They inserted a new TB resistance gene called
- Bovine TB is a risk to cattle in many countries, including parts of the UK, Africa and Asia.
China tests missile DF-5C with 10 nuclear warheads
- China has tested successfully a new version of a missile Dongfeng-5C missile which can carry up to 10 nuclear warheads from the Taiyuan Space Launch Centre in Shanxi province.
- The flight test of the DF-5C missile was carried out in January 2017 using 10 multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles, or MIRVs.Earlier versions of the DF-5 have either a single warhead or from six to eight MIRVs.
India Defeats England 2-1 to Win T20 International Series
- India defeated England by 75 runs to clinch the Twenty20 International series 2-1 at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru.
- This is India’s first win in a bilateral T20 International series against England.
- 23-year-oldYuzvender Chahal was named the man of the series for taking eight wickets and giving away only 85 runs.
- Yuzvender Chahal has also became the first Indian bowler to record a five-wicket haul in the history of Indian cricket.
- 19-year-old Rishabh Pant from Delhi has become India’s youngest T20I Debutant
Lakshya Sen of Uttarakhand Becomes World No. 1 Player in BWF Junior Rankings
- Indian badminton player Lakshya Sen has created history after he attained World No. 1 Rank in the latest Junior Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- The 15-year-old player is the youngest ever player and the first ever from Uttarakhand to win the title at senior level.
- Lakshya has outclassed Chia Hao Lee of the Chinese Taipei to attain the World no. 1 ranking.
Former Chelsea midfielder from England Lampard Retires at 38
- English professional footballer Frank Lampard announced his retirement from professional soccer ending his 21-year-old career.
- Lampard has won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the Champions League during the course of time at Chelsea.
- The England soccer player has scored a record of 211 goals and made appearances in 649 games from 2001-14.
2020 Tokyo Olympic Games medals to be made from recycled mobile phones
- Olympic game medals will be made from recycled mobile phones for the year 2022 to promote sustainability said by 2020 Olympic Games organizers, Japan.
- For this, the Japan government asked public to donate unwanted mobile phones and other electronic items to help make 5,000 medals.