Download : 31st May, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Amitabh Bachchan led Toilet Usage Campaign, ‘Darwaza Band’, launched
- Amitabh Bachchan launched Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry’s ‘Darwaza Band’ campaign for promotion of toilet usage across the country.
- Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Chief Minister of Maharashtra and other dignitaries were present at the formal launch of the campaign in Mumbai.
- This campaign is an initiative of the Union Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry and is supported by the World Bank.
- The objective of the campaign is to encourage behavior change in men who have toilets but are not using them.
India and Kazakhstan Pact of Transfer of Prisoners Comes Into Effect
- The Home Ministry has announced that the agreement between India and Kazakhstan concerning transfer of sentenced persons came into effect from 26th of May.
- In this pact, the prisoner who wants to be transferred should notify the Indian embassy or consulate his or Kazakhstan.
Gadkari lays foundation of Rs 1,117 cr projs at JNPT
- Shipping Minister has laid foundation stone of eight connectivity projects worth Rs 1,117.03 crore at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT).
- The main aim to lay the foundation is to boost port infrastructure.
- These projects will enhance connectivity of the hinterland to the port.
- The Port Trust is focused on creating world-class infrastructure to enable hassle-free trade and contribute to the ease of doing business.
India-Australia Pact Transfer Of Prisoners Comes Into Effect
- India-Australia pact for transfer of each other’s sentenced prisoners has come into effect with the ratification of the treaty by both the countries.
- Under the treaty, a prisoner who wants to be transferred should notify the Indian embassy or consulate of his or her desire.
- The application then must be approved by the foreign country and the government of India.
India and FIJI sign MoU on Defence Cooperation
- India has signed an MoU with FIJI on Defence Cooperation.
- The MoU will include in defence industry, military training, humanitarian assistance and disaster management.
- The Meeting was held between our defence minister and his counterpart.
- India and FIJI sign MoU on Defence Cooperation.
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
India ranks 120th among 131 nations in women workforce, says World Bank report
- As per ‘India Development Report’ released by World Bank , India ranks 120th among 131 countries in terms of women participation in the workforce.
- As per the report, participation level of women in Indian workforce has been dropping since year 2005, despite having 42% women who are graduates.
- In India, the women participation in workforce is only 27%, which is much lower as compared to China and Brazil where it is in the range of 65-70%.
First women’s TV channel launched in Afghanistan
- The first-ever women television channel “Zan TV (or Women’s TV)” has started in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- It has been started with a staff of all female presenters and producers.
- The main purpose to launch the women TV channel is to highlight the rights of Afghan women and to improve their status and ensure their equity with men in the conservative “Zan TV (or Women’s TV)”
- It has been taken a crucial step for women’s rights, in a male dominated country which is struggling for peace.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Amul inks MoU with ISRO for Fodder acreage estimation
- Amul has signed an MoU with ISRO for fodder Acreage estimation.
- A Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) markets product comes under the brand name of ‘Amul’.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), ISRO will help in identification between food crops and fodder crops at village level.
- It will locate suitable areas of current fallows and cultivable wastelands at village level for green fodder cultivation.
Priyanka to receive Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has received the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award.
- Priyanka has received the award for being an international icon.
- She will be given the award for newly introduced ‘Internationally Acclaimed Actress’ category at a ceremony.
Lionel Messi wins fourth Golden Shoe, ties record with Cristiano Ronaldo
- Professional football player Lionel Messi has won the European Golden Shoe for a fourth time. Playing for FC Barcelona, Lionel Messi scored 37 goals this season.
- With the fourth Golden shoe to his name, Messi has equalled Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo’s record.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India’s own global positioning system NavIC to be operational from 2018
- India’s Global Positioning System (GPS), the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), alternatively named NavIC is going to be operated from 2018.
- The testing of the system includes ground verification and calibration of NavIC data to calculate its accuracy.
- NavIC is being tested for its accuracy and it will be available in the market for public use early next year.
- The Indian system is expected to be significantly more accurate than the GPS powered by American satellites.
- The American GPS with 24 satellites in a constellation has wider reach and covers the entire world.
Harmanpreet Kaur becomes the first Indian women cricketer to play in England’s T20 league
- Harmanpreet Kaur, the captain of India’s T20 team has become the first Indian women cricketer to play in England’s T20 league.
- The Kia Super League is also known as the Women’s Cricket Super League.
- It is the domestic T20 tournament held in England and Wales that features women cricketers.
Kohli only Indian in top 10 ICC rankings
- Virat Kohli is the only cricketer from the country to feature in the top 10 of the ICC Players Rankings for ODIs.
- He holds on third spot in the batsman’s chart.
- The top three batsmen -De Villiers (874), Warner (871) and Kohli (852) are separated by just 22 points.
- Among other Indians to feature in the top 20 of ICC Players Ranking for ODIs are Rohit (12th), Dhoni (13th) and Dhawan (15th).