Download : 30th May, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Prakash Javadekar launches UGC App to fight Ragging
- HRD minister launched an anti-ragging mobile app UGC app introduced by the University Grants Commission.
- The app will help student register complaints to counter the menace of ragging.
- The app is available on Android platform.
Cyclone ‘Mora’ spins up over Bay, eyes Bangla coast for landfall
- A deep depression in the Bay of Bengal has been declared intensified into a tropical cyclone named Mora.
- It is a second cyclone in the Bay of Bengal after Maarutha.
- Maarutha which was formed in April, 2017 triggering heavy rainfall in Sri Lanka, Myanmar and India’s Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Cyclone ‘Mora’ spins up over Bay, eyes Bangla coast for landfall.
- The tropical Cyclone Mora is likely to hit Bangladesh coast in next 24 hours and expected to cause heavy rains in West Bengal and North East Indian states.
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
43rd G7 Summit held in Sicily, Italy
- 43rd G7 summit was held in Taormina, Sicily, Italy.
- The summit was attended by leaders of G7 countries viz. US, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Japan and Canada as well as the representatives of European Union.
- The theme of the Italian G7 presidency in 2017 is “Building the foundations of renewed trust.”
- G7 communique released on May 27 at the conclusion of the summit stated that “all member countries – except the US – had reaffirmed their “strong commitment” to abide by the 2015 Paris climate agreement to rein in greenhouse gas emissions.”
India’s Tax laws, 2nd Most Complex in Asia-Pacific: Deloitte Survey
- As per the Asia Pacific Tax Complexity Survey conducted by professional services firm, Deloitte, India has the second most complex taxation system in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- This outcome is based on a survey of over 300 financial and tax executives in 20 countries across Asia Pacific. 147 of these respondents have business operations in India.
- The respondents were asked to give their views on the current and anticipated tax environment for their respective countries.
Top 5 Asia-Pacific Countries in terms of Tax Complexity:
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
India to grow at 7.2% in 2017-18 – World Bank
- As per “India Development Report” by World Bank, Indian economy is expected to grow at 7.2% in FY 2017-18 as compared to 6.8% in 2016-17.
- The report has outlined that demonetisation in November 2016 caused a slight disruption to India’s growth recovery.
- It is to be noted that in the latest World Economic Outlook (WEO), International Monetary Fund (IMF) has cut down India’s growth forecast for year 2017 by 0.4 percentage points to 7.2 %.
EPFO gives nod to hike in stock investment to 15 per cent
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation has announced a hike in investment limit in Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) from 10% to 15 per cent.
- The decision was taken during the meeting of the Central Board of Trustees (CBT).
Prasar Bharati signs MoU with Morocco’s SNRT
- Prasar Bharati has signed an agreement with Moroccos Societe Nationale de Radio diffusionet de Television (SNRT).
- The MoU has been signed to step up cooperation in the broadcasting sector.
- The MoU was signed during the the fifth India Morocco Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) in Rabat.
Satyabrata Rout gets Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Puraskar for the year 2016 has been awarded to Satyabrata Rout.
- Satyabrata Rout has been given this award for developing a unique method of teaching and practising direction and design.
- Stayabrata Rout is a professor from the Department of Theatre Arts, S N School of Arts and Communication. He is a noted theatre director and scenographer.
- He is one of the pioneers of visual theatre in India, and has authored ‘Scenography: An Indian Perspective’.
‘The Square’ wins top award at Cannes Film Festival 2017
- The Ruben Ostlund-directed satire ‘The Square’ has won the top prize at the 70th Cannes Film Festival 2017.
- The movie is directed by the Ruben Ostlund.
- Sofia Coppola became the second woman in the festival’s history to win best director at this auteurist temple.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Health Indian researchers develop 3D bioprinted cartilage
- Sourabh Ghosh from the Department of Textile Technology at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has been successful in 3D bioprinting of cartilage using a bioink.
- It is the first time that permanent cartilage similar to natural ones has been developed.
- In other words, cartilages developed are molecularly similar to the ones seen in human Health Indian researchers develop 3D bioprinted cartilage knees.
- The bioink has high concentration of bone-marrow derived cartilage stem cells, silk proteins and a few factors.
INS Ganga placed in non-operational category
- Indian Navy frigate INS Ganga is placed in non-operational category from 28th May, followed by decommissioning, after 32 years of service.
- INS Ganga is a Godavari-class guided-missile frigate of the Indian Navy and was built in Mumbai by Mazagon Dock Limited.INS Ganga was commissioned on December 30, 1985.
Fencer Bhavani Devi becomes first Indian to win gold in International Event
- India’s Chadalavada Anandha Sundhararaman Bhavani Devi has become first Indian to win a Gold Medal in an International fencing tournament.
- She participated in the sabre event of the Turnoi Satellite Fencing Championship held at Reykjavik in Iceland.
- In the final, she defeated Sarah Jane Hampson of Great Britain.
Arsenal beat Chelsea 2-1 to win FA Cup for 13th time
- Arsenal won its 13th FA Cup with a 2-1 victory over Chelsea the Premier League champion.
- The match was held at Wembley Stadium in London, England.
Sebastian Vettel wins Monaco Grand Prix
- Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel had wonMonaco Grand Prix.
- It was held at Circuit de Monaco, La Condamine and Monte Carlo,Monaco.
- The second place in the race was secured by Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen.
- The third place was secured by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.