Download : 29th May, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
NATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Mauritius PM Pravind Jugnauth’s 3 day visit to India
- Mauritius Prime Minister arrived in India for a three-day official visit.
- India, Mauritius sign 4 agreements including bilateral maritime security.
- Setting up of a civil services college in Mauritius
- Cooperation in ocean research
- USD 500 million Line of Credit (LOC) agreement between the SBM Mauritius Infrastructure Development Company and Export-Import Bank of India.
- Maritime Security Agreement
Kejriwal, Venkaiah Naidu flag off Delhi metro Heritage Line
- Delhi Chief Minister and Union Urban Development Minister flagged off Heritage Line of Delhi Metro through video conferencing at Metro Bhawan in Delhi.
- This heritage line will connect Old Delhi areas with the commercial hub of Delhi at Janpath.
- Heritage Line comprises four stations viz. Kashmere Gate, Dilli Gate,Jama Masjid and Lal Qila on the stretch of 5.17 km.
WHO confirms first three Zika virus cases in India
- According to World Health Organisation report, India has detected first three Zika-affected patients all from Ahmedabad in Gujarat.
- The virus is transmitted to people through a bite of an infected mosquito called Aedes Aegypti, which also transmits dengue and chikungunya.
Haryana announces pension scheme for journalists
- Haryana Chief Minister announced following incentives for journalists at the “Swarna Jayanti Journalists’ Meet” in Panchkula:
- Rs 10,000 monthly pension scheme, for those who are above 60 years and have completed 20 years.
- A life insurance covers of Rs 10 lakh and a cashless media claim policy of Rs 500,000.
- Media persons, who have completed five years in the profession, would be given recognition by the state government.
- A new policy would be framed for giving recognition to representatives of online news portals.
Dailong village in Manipur declared Biodiversity Heritage Site
- The Manipur government has declared Dailong village of Tamenglong district as a Biodiversity Heritage Site of the state.
- It has been declared as Biodiversity Heritage Site under Section 37(1) of Biological Diversity Act, 2002.
INTERNATIONAL CURRENT AFFAIRS
Global forum on disaster risk reduction takes place in Mexico
- 5th edition of Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) took place in Cancun, Mexico.
- This is the first international summit on disaster since the Sendai Framework, which was adopted in 2015 in Japan.
- The Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction is a biennial forum for information exchange, discussion of latest developments, knowledge and partnership-building across sectors.
- With the goal of improving implementation of disaster risk reduction through better communication and coordination amongst stakeholders.
Construction begins on world’s largest telescope in Chilean desert
- Construction began on world’s largest telescope the European Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), in Chilean desert.
- The ELT will be around five times larger than the top observing instruments which are used today.
- It is conceived by the European Southern Observatory (ESO).
- It is designed to be an adaptive telescope and has the ability to correct atmospheric turbulence.
- It is designed by the Oxford University scientists.
- They will be responsible for the design and construction of its spectrograph HARMONI.
- HARMONI is an instrument designed to simultaneously take 4000 images, each in a slightly different colour.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Goldman, Citigroup among 5 bankers selected for IOC stake sale
- Goldman Sachs and Citigroup are among the 5 merchant bankers selected by Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) to manage Government’s 3% stake sale in Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
- 3% stake sale in Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) at current market price will fetch about Rs. 6000.
IOC overtakes ONGC to become India’s most profitable PSU
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC) has overtaken Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) to become India’s most profitable public sector undertaking (PSU).
- For financial year ended March 31, 2017, IOC posted a net profit of Rs 19,106.40 crore, which marks a 70% jump from previous year.
- This net profit figure is much higher than ONGC’s Rs 17,900 crore for financial year ended March 31, 2017.
PEOPLE IN NEWS
Mission XI Million picks Chandigarh girl Ananya Kamboj
- Ananya Kamboj, 8th standard student from Chandigarh has been selected as a young journalist at the global Football for Friendship (F4F) Social Programme in Russia.
- India joins the programme for the first time and 60 other countries will participate.
- Mission XI Million is a programme of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017.
- It has a vision of making football the sport of choice among the youth by bringing football to 11 million kids.
- It will focus on the development of childrens football, fostering tolerance and respect for different cultures and nationalities among children from different countries.
Pune city police receive FICCI Smart Policing Award 2017
- The Pune city police have won the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industries (FICCI) Smart Police Award for the year 2017.
- The Pune city Police has been awarded for their initiatives on women and cyber- security.
- The Pune city police have launched various initiatives like Buddy Cop”,“Damini squad”, “Lost & Found” portal, Beat Marshal Monitoring Sapience App.
- Pune Police Commissioner Rashmi Shukla received the award from BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China launches Satellite Navigation Positioning System
- China has launched national satellite navigation and positioning system.
- It will provide positioning service to transportation, emergency medical rescue and city planning and management.
- It will be compatible with other satellite navigation systems, such as the Bei Dou Navigation Satellite System and Global Position System (GPS).
- The system will feature the fastest speed,higher accuracy and wider coverage.
Jaitely launches Aeronautical Test Range in Karna
- Defence Minister has launched an Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) set up in Chitradurga in Karnataka.
- It has been planned by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) and in collaboration with other Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) labs.
- It’s main objective of building necessary infrastructure for testing and evaluating unmanned and manned aircraft being undertaken by aeronautic cluster labs in the DRDO.
- It can be used for testing of bigger aircraft like AEW&CS (Airborne Early Warning & Control Systems) aircraft.
- It is meant for surveillance and intelligence gathering, which has been inducted into Indian Air Force.
South Korea defeat China to win 2017 Sudirman Cup
- South Korea defeated China won badminton’s Sudirman Cup for the first time in 14 years.
- South Korea has won by 3-2 points over 10-time champions China.
- It was held in Gold Coast Australia.
- The South Koreans claimed their fourth cup in the world mixed teams competition with a charged 21-17, 21-13 win by Choi Sol-Gyu and ChaeYoo-Jung in the mixed doubles match.