Download : 28th November 2016 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
Supreme Court Bans Sale of Crackers In New Delhi
- Supreme Court on November 25, 2016, banned the sale of firecrackers in Delhi and the NCR region.
- Decision was taken to tackle the pollution level, after air pollution increased at an alarming rate in the Capital, to a dangerous level, worst in three years.
- There is no restriction on bursting crackers as it would be difficult to implement and monitor.
- The licenses of the existing firecrackers sellers will be suspended and the government will not issue new licenses to any seller in these region.
- New Delhi ranks among the world’s most polluted cities, especially during Diwali, and due to burning crops in nearby states.
Rajasthan Govt to launch Annapurna rasoi program to provide cheap food to weaker sections
- Motto of Annapurna rasoi:Food to All and Respect to All
- Under the initiative, labourers, rickshaw pullers, auto drivers, students, working women, elders and other weaker section will be provided breakfast at Rs 5 per plate and lunch/dinner at Rs 8 per plate.
- The scheme will be started in 12 districts in the first phase which include Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Ajmer, Kota, Bikaner, Bharatpur, Pratapgarh, Dungarpur, Banswara, Baran and Jhalawar.
51st Annual Conference of Directors General and Inspectors General of Police 2016
- PresidentsPolice Medals and Police Medals will be presented to the officers of the Intelligence Bureau during the conference.
- This Conference was started in the year 1920.Since its inception it was being held at Delhi every year till 2013. This year, it is held in Hyderabad.
Army launches full-fledged branch of Armed Forces Tribunal in Jammu
- The J & K Bench also functioned as a circuit Bench of ChandigarhBench to mitigated the problem relating to long journey to Chandigarh faced by the Armed Forces Personnel and their families, he added.
November 26: Constitution Day
- Samvidhan Diwas or the Constitution Day of India is being observed on 26th November to spread awareness of Indian Constitution.
- On this day in 1949, constitution of India was adopted and came into force on January 26, 1950 marking the beginning of a new era in the history of free India.
- The Indian Constitution is a core legal document which has nearly 448 articles or provisions in 25 parts, 12 schedules.
- It lists out fundamental rights of citizens, duties, role of the government, powers of the prime minister, president, governor and chief minister, interaction between the government and its citizens and defines how the federal structure of the country will be maintained.
- It also defines the powers of the legislature, the executive and the judiciary. The key feature of the Constitution is separation of powers while keeping a check on each arm of the government.
Business & Economy
Canara bank and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance sign agreement
- Canara Bankhas signed a corporate agency agreement Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for the distribution of Bajaj Allianz’s general insurance products through its branches.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance will offer its leading general insurance plans to the customers of Canara Bank.
- Motor insurance, home insurance, health insurance, travel insurance, fire insurance, marine insurance, and engineering insurance are some of the insurance products that will be sold by Bajaj Allianz .
INOX partners with SBI for cash withdrawal at its multiplex.
- INOX Leisure, multiplex chain in India has partnered with State Bank of India(SBI)to enable cash withdrawal of Rs 2000 at their multiplex.
- The initiative has been taken to reduce the loads on ATMs and banks for cash withdrawal and ease the process of cash withdrawal and support the demonetization move of government.
Google Launchpad Accelerator Programme to mentor 7 Indian Startups.
- The seven Indian startups selected to be a part of the programme includes Flyrobe, HashLearn, Rentomojo, KaptureCRM, Curofy, Happy Adda Studios, and Playment.
- The selected startups will join the six-month mentorship program for mid to late stage startups organized by Google.
- The program includes a two-week all-expense paid boot campthat will begin from January 30, 2017 at Launchpad Space in San Francisco and each startup will get $50,000inequity-free funding
- These startups will join other startups from Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and Mexico.
People in News
Mariamma Koshy appointed as New president of Hockey India
- Mariamma Koshywas appointed as President of Hockey India (HI) during the 41st Hockey India Executive Board
- She replaced Narinder Dhruv Batrawho was recently elected as the 15th chief of FIH(International Hockey Federation)
- Hockey India is the governing body of field hockey in India. It was formed in 2008 by IOA(Indian Olympic Association)
Tata Steel removes Cyrus Mistry as chairman
- Cyrus Mistry removed as Tata Steel chairman during board meeting held in Mumbai on November 25, 2016.
- He was replaced by former head of SBI, O P Bhatt
- Tata Steel Limited is an Indian multinational steel-making company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Revolutionary Cuban leader, Fidel Castro passes away at 90.
- Fidel Castro, political leader from Cuba died on 25 November 2016 due to illness at the age of 90.
- He has served as Prime Minister of Cuba for 17 years and President of Cuba for 32 years.
AIBA Honours Mary Kom with Legends Award
- M C Mary Kom, a celebrated Indian boxer, will be honored with the ‘Legends Award’from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) on its 70th anniversary ceremony
- Mary has been recognized for the award for her outstanding achievements during her early boxing career in the world boxing championships and for setting up an example for millions of youths
The Man Who Knew: The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan Wins 2016 FT Business Book Award
- Eminent Journalist and Author Sebastian Mallabyhas won the Financial Times & McKinsey Business Book of the Year 2016 for his ‘The Man Who Knew: The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan’
- The Man Who Knew, is the first biography to win the prize, and the 12th winnerof the award with £30,000 reward.
- Financial Times and McKinsey Business Book of the Year Awardis an annual award given to the best business book of the year by the Financial Times and McKinsey & Company.
- Other shortlisted books:
The Rise and Fall of American Growth by economist Robert Gordon;
2.What Works by Iris Bohnet;
3.The 100-Year Life by Lynda Gratton and Andrew Scott’s;
4.Makers and Takers by Rana Foroohar;
5. Alibaba by Duncan Clark.
1,668 martyrs of the Indian Army to be honored by Bangladesh
- Bangladesh will honor 1,668 members of the Indian Army, who were martyred during the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- Each family will receive a 5 lakhas a mark of respect from the Prime Minister of Bangladesh,
- A war memorialwill also be set up in the Brahmanbaria district in Bangladesh to pay homage to the Indian soldiers who laid down their lives for the Bangladesh war of liberation and independence.
Science & Technology
‘AirSewa Portal’ For Hassle-Free Air Travel
- Aim:to offer convenient and hassle-free air travel experience to people.
- The new initiative will operate through an interactive web portalas well as a mobile app for both android and iOS platforms.
- AirSewa portal and app is an attempt to provide a systematic mechanism for redressing passengers grievance such as flight delays, problem in refunds, long queues and lack of proper facilities at airports and complaints of lost baggage etc.
Scientists from Czech Republic develop artificial 3D lung model
- The lung model has been developed using series of latest technologies including3D Printing.
- Using the 3d model of artificial lung, various new researches can be performed eliminating the risk that a real lung involves.
- The researchers will be using the model to stimulate asthma and other diseases.
- Using the model now the scientists can ensure that an inhaled drug settles in the part of the lung where it is supposed to settle.
- The research team has already received three patentsfor the artificial lung model.
- In the future the model will become the European standard for testing.
Sachin Singh wins GOLD at the Aiba Youth World Boxing Championship
- Sachin Singh(49kg) wins Gold Medal at the Aiba Youth World Boxing Championships St Petersburg 2016
- 16 year old Sachin became the thirdIndian boxer ever to win gold at the AIBA Youth World Championships.
- Earlier in 2008Thokchom Nanao Singhhad won a Gold and in 2010 Vikas Krishan won a Gold for India.
- Naman Tanwar(91kg) won a Bronze medal at Aiba Youth World Boxing Championships. Thus India finished with 1 Gold and 1 Bronze.