Download : 26th July, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
Rajya Sabha passes FDDI Bill and Admiralty Bill 2017
- Rajya Sabha passed Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI) Bill, 2017 and The Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims), 2017. Both the bills were passed by voice vote.
- The Footwear Design and Development Institute Bill, 2017 provides for establishing and declaring the Footwear Design and Development Institute as an institute of national importance for promotion and development of quality and excellence in education in this area. The bill had been passed by the Lok Sabha in April 2017.
- The Admiralty bill seeks to upgrade the law related to maritime claims, arrest and detention of ships and extends jurisdiction of trial to various courts across the country.
Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017 introduced in LS
- Government introduced in the Lok Sabha, Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017,a bill providing for allocation of about Rs 2,000 crore from Central Road Fund (CRF) for developing national waterways (NWs).
- The bill seeks to amend the Central Road Fund Act, 2000, to allocate 2.5 per cent of the proceeds of CRF for development and maintenance of NWs and a reduction in the share provided for development of National Highways.
- According to the objects of the bill, National Waterways provide cost-effective, logistically efficient and environment-friendly way of transport, whose development as a supplementary mode would enable diversion of traffic over congested roads and railways
Government approves construction of 30,000 affordable houses on private land
- Centre has approved the construction of 30,000 houses for the urban poor on private land in Maharashtra’s Sholapur
- It is the first such project to be taken up on private land under PMAY(U).
- Its main aim is to give momentum to affordable housing in urban areas.
- The State Level Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (SLSMC), set up under PMAY(U), will oversee the implementation of the project.
- Central assistance of Rs 1.50 lakh for each beneficiary is provided under this component.
- Under the Centre’s flagship program Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry gave a nod to central assistance of Rs 450 crore for the project.
- The cost of each dwelling unit of Rs 6,03,777 has been determined in a transparent manner with central and state assistance. The delivery price would be Rs 3,53,777 per house.
- The CSMC, in its 24th meeting has approved the construction of 2,84,803 more affordable houses for urban poor under PMAY (U).
- Total cost of these houses to be built in six states is Rs 16,407 crore for which central assistance of Rs 4,272 crore has been approved.
- Andhra Pradesh has been sanctioned 2,25,245 houses, Uttar Pradesh 23,322, Tamil Nadu 15,374, Manipur 10,392, Assam 9,767 and Meghalaya 703.
International Current Affairs
Bolivia declared total independence from World Bank & IMF
- Some of Bolivia’s largest resistance struggles in the last 60 years have targeted the economic policies carried out by the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
- The IMF and the World Bank had dictated the economic fate of Bolivia and the world.
- Bolivia’s popular uprising known as The Cochabamba Water War in 2000 against United States– and the associated World Bank policies shed light on some of the debt issues facing the region.
- Since 2006, a year after Morales came to power; social spending on health, education, and poverty programs has increased by over 45%.
- Bolivia is now in the process of becoming a member of the Southern Common Market, Mercosur and Morales attended the group’s summit in Argentina last week.
- The Morales administration made enormous transformations in the Andean nation like:
(a)The nationalization of hydrocarbons, poverty reduction from 60% to less than 40%
(b)A decrease in the rate of illiteracy from 13% to 3%.
(c)The tripling the GDP with an average growth of 5% annually.
(d)The quadrupling of the minimum wage, the increasing of state coverage on all fronts.
(e) The development of infrastructure in communications, transportation, energy and industry.
Business & Economy
Aurionpro launches a Bank in a Box to reduce branch expansion cost for banks
- Aurionpro Solutions has launched its Branch-in-a-Box product, the Virtual Teller Machine (VTM) a fully integrated self-service kiosk for automating 90% of banking transactions at the branch level.
- Aurionpro Solutions is a global leader in digital innovation, enterprise security and banking solutions.
- The VTM helps in migrating routine transactions like KYC, account opening, passbook and statement printing, video assistance, bill payment, cash and cheques.
- The branches will focus more on relationship based sales, service and consultancy automated with a retail centric ambience that reviving customer engagement.
Nifty creates history, breaches 10,000 mark
- NSE Nifty breached the 10,000 level for the first time while the BSE Sensex hit another record high of 32,374.30 in opening trade.
- Nifty breached the historic 10,000 level by gaining 44.90 points, or 0.45 %, to trade at an all-time high of 10,011.30, surpassing its previous intra-day high of 9,982.05 touched on July 24, 2017.
- As per brokers and analysts, upbeat sentiment, sustained capital inflows and widespread buying by retail investors, driven by strong earnings by some NIFTY constituent companies have been the driving factors of the recent rally in Nifty.
Standard Chartered Bank unveils forex card
- Standard Chartered Bank has launched a Multi-currency Forex Card for overseas travellers.
- The card will also provide Forex rate lock-in with zero mark-up on cash withdrawals and shopping abroad.
- The card is designed to offer travelers a secure way to carry money when traveling abroad.
- It will allow customers the convenience of loading up to 20 widely used currencies on one card with an online reload facility during the overseas travel.
- Travelers get protection against the frequent currency fluctuations by locking in the currency exchange rate they availed during the time of loading the card.
- They do not have to pay different rates every time they use the card.
- The card will also provide travelers insurance covers against misuse of lost card, personal accident insurance and loss of baggage or personal documents.
- Some of the currencies that can be loaded are US dollar, Euro, British Pound, Singapore dollar, Swiss franc, Thai baht, Japanese Yen and South African rand.
FSSAI bans stapler pins in tea bags from January 2018
- Food Safety and Authority of India (FSSAI) has banned the stapler pins in tea bags from January 2018
- FSSAI has directed the concerned food business operators to discontinue the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of stapled tea bags by 1stJanuary 2018.
- It has also directed all food safety commissioners to take action to prevent the use of unsafe packaging materials by companies and take up measures for enforcement of its order.
- According to industry estimates, the tea bag segment contributes 3-4% by value of total tea sales but it is one of the fastest growing segments at 50-60% year-on-year.
Veteran Actress Shakuntala Barua Gets ‘Mahanayak Samman 2017’
- ‘Mahanayak Samman 2017’has been awarded to veteran actress Shakuntala Barua for her contribution to the world of cinema.
- For this year, Prosenjit Chatterjee and Nusrat Jahan took home the Best Actor and Best Actress awards
- The Best Director, Music Director, Cinematographer and Script Writer awards went to Arindam Sil, Pt Bickram Ghosh, Shoumik Halder and Padmanabha Dasgupta
- Suparnokanti Karati for ‘Bisarjan’ film and Shiboprasad Mukhopadhyay of Windows Productions for ‘Praktan’ film were awarded in Best Film and Best Producer categories.
People in News
Google CEO Sundar Pichai joins Alphabet Board of Directors
- Alphabet is the second most valuable U.S. company behind Apple.
- Alphabet shares have risen by more than 50% since Pichai joined the board, following a steady rise through Google’s managerial ranks.
- The move represents a vote of confidence in Pichai, who has led Google through a period of sustained growth.
- Google accounts for the vast majority of Alphabet’s revenue and virtually all of its profits.
- Pichai is an IIT Kharagpur alumnus born in Chennai, has been leading the company for the past two years.
Janalakshmi Financial Services appoints Ajay Kanwal as CEO
- Kanwal will take charge from 1stof August 2017. He has having 27 years of experience in both consumer and commercial banking sector.
- Janalakshmi Financial Services, set up in Bengaluru in 2008 by former Citibank senior executive Ramesh Ramanathan and his wife Swati.
- Janalakshmi finance bank got license from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up Small Finance Bank.
Science & Technology
Researchers generate human antibodies from B-cells in the lab
- Scientists have produced human antibodies in the laboratory for the first time using a technique that can lead to rapid development of new vaccines to treat a wide range of infectious diseases.
- The team successfully demonstrated their approach using various bacterial and viral antigens, including the tetanus toxoid and proteins from several strains of influenza A.
Reliance Defence launches first two naval patrol vessels Shachi and Shruti
- Reliance Defence and Engineering Limited (subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure) announced the launch of its first two Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (NOPVs) – ‘Shachi’ and ‘Shruti’ – at their shipyard in Pipavav, Gujarat.
- The two NOPVs — ‘Shachi’ and ‘Shruti’ — are the first warships to be launched by a private sector shipyard in India.
- The five NOPVs are patrol ships armed with a 76 mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM) system along with two 30 mm AK-630 guns, which provide medium range and short range offensive and defensive capabilities.
Sports Current Affairs
Kaur breaks into top 10 of ICC Women’s ODI Player Rankings
- Harmanpreet Kaur’s helped India to defeat Australia by 36 runs in the semi-final of the ICC Women’s World Cup.
- She has made 51 runs in the final against England.
- Poonam Raut has gained five slots to reach 14th position after scores of 86 and 14 in the final and semi-final respectively.
- Veda Krishnamurthy has gained seven slots to reach a career-best 26th position.
- Jhulan Goswami has gained four slots to reach second position in bowling.
- Goswami’s new-ball partner Shikha Pandey up one place to 12th and leg-spinner Poonam up six places to a career-best 28th are other India bowlers to move up.
- Mithali Raj has gained No. 2 in batting. She is now the second India batter to feature in the top 10.
Konsam wins gold in Asian Youth & Junior Weightlifting Championships
- Indian weightlifter Konsam Ormila Devi has bagged a gold medal at the Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The weightlifter from Manipur lifted 56kg in snatch and 70kg in clean & jerk for a total effort of 126kg in the 44kg weight category to finish at the top.
India to host maiden men’s World Boxing Championship in 2021
- The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has announced that India will host their first Men’s World Championship in 2021.
- The AIBA Men’s World Championships 2019 will be held in Russia city of Sochi.
- The 2018 Women’s World Championships will also be held in New Delhi.
- The 2019 Women’s World Championships will be held in Trabzon, Turkey.