Download : 26th April, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
47th Foundation Day of HUDCO
- HUDCO has completed 47 years of existence in providing housing and basic infrastructure across the country.
- The Centre and States have to effectively engage the private sector to achieve the mission of affordable housing for all by 2022.
India’s first sea ropeway to link Mumbai and Elephanta Island
- Mumbai Port Trust announced plans to construct India’s first and longest sea ropeway to connect Mumbai mainland with famous Elephanta Island in Arabian Sea.
- The 8-km long ropeway connecting Elephanta Island with Mumbai will begin from Sewri (Eastern Edge of South Mumbai).
- Elephanta Island is accessible only by ferries which take around 60 minutes to cover the distance of 10 km starting from Gateway of India. One-way ride through ropeway will take about 40 minutes.
Aadhaar-like UID number for cows
- The proposed UID number for cattle will record important information such as age, breed, sex, lactation, height, body, colour, horn type, tail switch and special marks details of the animal.
- As per the report, Central Govt. is also considering to provide shelter homes and discourage the auctioning of cattle.
Maharastra govt. sign MoU with Railways to expand Green cover & Railways
- The project cost of the 50 MW plant is estimated at Rs 200 crore.
- Of the total cost 20 per cent will be borne by the Railways, while the remaining 80 per cent will be raised through debt.
- Maharashtra govt signs MoU with Railways to expand green cover.
International Current Affairs
Freight train connects Russia with China
- The aim of freight train is to bring resources from Europe and boost local development
- In order to boost its export revenues, China is already operating train services to several cities in Europe.
- The journey started from Kansk, where buses first transported 38 containers more than 260 km to Bazaiha.
- The freight train travelled more than 7,000 km, before reaching Ganzhou in eastern China.
Joint Indian-French naval exercise ‘Varuna’ begins
- It aims at deepening combat coordination between the two navies.
- Guided missile destroyer INS Mumbai, stealth frigate INS Trishul and fleet tanker INS Aditya are taking part in the Varuna exercise.
- The Indian Navy and the French Navy have been conducting naval exercises since 1983.
- There has been significant progress in all areas of bilateral cooperation and exchanges including naval exercises between India and France.
Iran Signs First Agreement on Reconstruction of Arak Reactor With China
- China and Iran have signed the first agreement on the reconfiguration of Iran’s Arak reactor.
- The reconstruction of the Arak heavy-water reactor is a part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) deals which Tehran
24th Arabian Travel Market begins in Dubai
- It focuses on encompasses travelling for adventure, culture, heritage, wellness, and theme parks
- Arabian Travel Market will welcome over 2,600 confirmed exhibitors with 100 exhibiting for the first time.
Business & Economy
GIC Re becomes first re-insurer to set up base in GIFT City
- GIC Re is a wholly-owned by the government and its main focus on the growth of general insurance business in the country.
- GIC Re becomes the first insurance company to sets up base in GIFT City, Gujarat.
- It provides reinsurance support to life and non-life insurers in India and abroad.
TERI, French firm sign MoU for ‘Clean India’
- To strengthen India’s waste management capabilities a Delhi-based green body, a French waste company and a Geneva-based innovation foundation have joined hands with one another.
- It has been addressed in the MoU that to bring sustainable development in the country and to reduce human impact on environment.
- Waste segregation is a major challenge since the passage of municipal solid waste management rules in 2000 and again in 2016.
- It will convert more than 90 per cent into residue fuel to produce clean energy, pure compost for agriculture and valuable raw materials. The process introduced by 3WAYSTE and TERI.
- It proposes to work mixed waste while recovering 90 per cent of resources from it, including for clean energy and quality compost
Science & Technology
Northeast India’s largest IT hub opens in Tripura
- Northeast India’s largest Information Technology (IT) hub has been inaugurated in Tripura’s capital city Agartala.
- It is the sixth IT hub in the Northeast region.
- This IT hub has been set up at a cost of Rs. 50 crore and with the help of technical knowledge shared by STPI, under the union Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology.
IAF Inducts Su-30 MKI into Frontline 221 Squadron
- Su-30 MKI is a state-of-the-art all-weather multi-role fighter jet.
- Su-30 MKI capable of undertaking varied air combat and ground attack missions.
- It is built under licence by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.It is developed by Russia’s Sukhoi.
NASA’s Super Pressure Balloon Takes Flight From NZ
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)has successfully launched a super pressure balloon to conduct near space scientific investigations.
- The balloon is 532,000 cubic metres. It aims to remain airborne for more than 100 days.
- It is expected to circumnavigate the globe in the mid-latitudes of southern hemisphere once every one to three weeks, depending on wind speeds in the stratosphere.
Sports Current Affairs
101-year-old wins sprinting gold medal at the World Masters Games in Auckland
- 101-year-old Man Kaur has won Gold Medal for 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games in Auckland
- Man Kaur took up athletics eight years ago, at the age of 93.
- Man Kaur completed the 100 metres sprint in 74 seconds. She was the only participant in the 100 years and over category for this event.
MCC offers honorary life membership to ‘Sandhya Agarwal’
- Sandhya Agarwal, former captain of the Indian women’s Test Cricket team has been offered honorary life membership of ‘Marylebone Cricket Club’ (MCC) in recognition of her distinguished service to the game.
- After her retirement, she has been associated with cricket as a selector and a coach, besides being a member of the BCCI’s women’s committee.
- She is the current chairperson of girl’s U-19 and senior women’s team of Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA).
Shot putter Manpreet wins gold at Asian Grand Prix, qualifies for World Championships
- Indian shot putter Manpreet Kaur has clinched gold in the Asian Grand Prix Athletics Meet.
- Manpreet also qualified for the IAAF World Championships to be held in August 2017 in London.
- India ended the one-day event with seven medals – 1 Gold, 4 Silver and 2 Bronze.