- The Japan International Cooperation and Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion have identified 25 priority projects for the Chennai-Bangalore Industrial Corridor (CBIC) and have finalized the Terms of Reference.
- These include:
- Proposed and ongoing major projects in Chennai and Kamarajar ports and aimed at decongesting the same.
- Development of Sriperumbudur dry port, greenfield airport at Sriperumbudur, four-laning of road from Hoskote to Dobbaspet and from Mulbagal to Renigunta via Chittoor,
- Dedicated high-speed freight corridor.
- Developing Chennai-Bangalore expressway, among others.
- Nodes will be created in Krishnapatnam (Andhra Pradesh), Vasant Narsaput (Karnataka) and either at Hosur or Ponneri (Tamil Nadu). Ponneri is likely to be considered because of its close proximity to Chennai which houses many Japanese expats.
- The next step will be to prepare and submit Comprehensive Integrated Master Plan for CBIC by March 2015. The plan is on the lines of Mumbai-Delhi corridor and will be monitored up to a point on a daily basis and after which an institution will handle the coordination and implementation by seeking cocoperation from stakeholders.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-business/25-projects-identified-for-southern-industrial-corridor/article6003021.ece