Download : 22nd June, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
Indore India’s first city to use robot to control unruly traffic
- Indore has become the first city in India where a robot is being used on an experimental basis to control its ever growing and unruly traffic.
- The traffic police in association with a private engineering college of the city for the first time installed a metallic robot at a busy MR 9 intersection on an experimental basis
- Since past two days since its installation, the robot has been quite successful in controlling traffic in this locality, which most of the time remains chocked and blocked in absence of traffic signals and traffic cop.
- steps are being taken to install similar robots at other junctions having large volumes of traffic movements, adding that works are also underway to equip this robot with announcement system and cameras so as to issue chalans to traffic offenders.
International Current Affairs
Mumbai most expensive for expatriates in India
Top 5 Most Expensive Indian Cities for Expatriates:
China unveils World’s First Train that runs on Virtual Tracks
- China has unveiled world’s first train that operates on a virtual track using sensor technology instead of metal rails.
- This Autonomous Rail Rapid Transit (ART)has been developed by China’s CRRC Zhuzhou Institute
- The train can move at a maximum speed of 70 km/hour. Instead of railway tracks, the train runs on rubber tyres.
- The 30-metre train has three carriages as of now and can carry 300 passengers. More carriages can be added – taking the total capacity up to 500 passengers.
- This train is equipped with sensors that allow it to read the dimensions of roads and plan its own route.
- It is environment-friendly as it is powered by electricity. On a full charge, the train can travel for distances up to 40 km.
Business & Economy
Bank credit grows at 6.02%, deposits at 11.19%
- Credit growth was slightly higher than the previous fortnight
- In the fortnight ended May 26, 2017, credit growth grew by 5.08% with an outstanding loans at Rs 75,93,546 crore.
- It is to be noted that in the fiscal ended March 31, 2017, credit growth had plunged to a multi-year low of 5.08% with an outstanding loan at Rs 78.81 trillion as against Rs 75.01 trillion on April 1, 2016.
Axis Bank, Kochi Metro launches India’s first single-wallet contactless, Open Loop Metro Card
- Axis Bankin association with Kochi Metro Rail Corporation (KMRL) has launched KMRL Axis Bank ‘Kochi1’ Card, India’s first open loop EMV contactless metro card that would make travel a convenient and hassle free experience for commuters in Kochi.
- Axis Bank has partnered with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) in developing this transit EMV contactless specification on interoperable open standards.
- The prepaid card has integrated benefits and offers a plethora of services to commuters such as shopping at merchant outlets.
- The commuter will receive a completely personalized (with name) KMRL Axis Bank ‘Kochi1’ Card across the counter in a matter of minutes.
NCAER pegs FY’18 GDP growth at 7.6% on normal monsoon
- NCAER has revised up the country’s economic growth to 7.6 % for the current fiscal as compared with 7.3% on forecast of normal monsoon.
- The World Bank has forecast growth to be 7.2 per cent during 2017-18.
- The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) inflation is projected at 7 % for 2017-18.
- Recent data shows that foodgrain production in 2016- 17 has set a new record of 273.4 million tonnes or 8.7% higher as compared to last year.
- The forecast for growth of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at market prices in 2017-18 is 7.6% at constant (2011 -12) prices.
GDP growth to rise To 7.5% In FY19 – Fitch
- Fitch has also reported that growth would be boosted by the goods and services tax, increased public spending on infrastructure, and a supportive monetary policy over the last two years.
- GDP growth expected to pick up to 1% in 2018 from 2.5% in 2016.
- As per Fitch it would be the highest rate seen since 2010.
First unit of 100 MW Sainj Hydropower Project commissioned
- The first 50 MW unit of 100 MW Sainj Hydro Power project of Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (HPPCL) has commissioned with northern grid through Parvati-Kol Dam transmission line.
- Sainj Hydro Power Project has been constructed on Sainj River, a tributary of Beas River.
- The second unit of 50 MW would also be commissioned soon and the project would produce 322 million units of electricity every year.
- It will generate an income of Rs 100 crore to the state government.
- It is a 36 km long tunnel with 3.85 metre diameter and two turbines of 50 MW each have been installed.
- The families affected by the project would get 100 units of power per month free of cost for ten years.
- The affected families would also get 1% of income from the project while 1.5% of income would go to LADA (Local Area Development Authority).
Reliance Defence inks pact with Serbia’s Yugoimport to make ammunition in India
- It has been signed to manufacture ammunition in India and target business opportunities of Rs 20,000 crore over the next 10 years.
- The two companies will work in the field of ammunition.
- The project cost requirement will be Rs 20,000 crore.
- Yugoimport is a state-owned enterprise and is a market leader in the field of ammunition production.
- It has offered a fully compliant technical solution to meet the Make in India requirements of the Indian government.
- India currently imports nearly 50 per cent of its ammunition requirements in value terms, with an annual spending of more than Rs 10,000 crore on ammunition.
People in News
Jeevandas Narayan appointed as managing director of Manappuram Home Finance
- Subhas hSamant as CEO of its fully-owned home loans subsidiary, Manappuram Home Finance.
- Narayan, who has more than 37 years of experience in the financial services industry, was Managing Director of State Bank of Travancore.
- Samant, with more than 20 years of experience, has worked with Larsen and Toubro Housing Finance, DHFL, ICICI Bank and GIC Housing Finance.
Uber CEO and Co-Founder Travis Kalanick resigns
- Kalanick’s resignation comes after a month-long investigation
- In a statement, the 40-year-old co-founder said his resignation would help Uber go back to building rather than be distracted with another fight.
- Uber has suffered a $708 million first-quarter loss and unable to turn $3.4 billion in revenue into a profit.
- The loss narrowed from the $991 million it posted in the previous quarter.
Saudi Arabia names Mohammed Bin Salman as Crown Prince
- Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was named as crown prince
- Mohammed bin Salman has replaced his cousin as heir to the throne that confirms King Salman’s 31-year-old son as next ruler of the world’s leading oil exporter.
- The new crown prince already controls the defense, oil and economy portfolios.
- He also heads the Council for Economic and Development Affairs (CEDA).
- Prince Mohammed chairs the supreme board of Aramco, making him the first member of the ruling family to directly oversee the state oil company.
Indian agri microbiologist Shrihari Chandraghatgi given environment award in Japan
- The award has been conferred for developing cutting edge technologies to address burning environmental problems.
- Chandraghatgi hails from Siddapura in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka. He has been residing in Tokyo for almost two decades.
- It is the highest award in environmental sector in Japan.
- He has over a dozen patents against his name. These patented technologies have been applied over 400 sites in Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, India, China and the US.
Qatar Airways is voted the World’s Best Airline in 2017
- Qatar Airways is voted the World’s Best Airline at the SKYTRAX 2017 World Airline Awards.
- The Doha based carrier has won the prestigious Airline of the Year title for a fourth time.
- Qatar Airways has also won major awards for the World’s Best Business Class, the World’s Best First Class Lounge and as the Best Airline in the Middle East.
- Singapore Airlines was ranked No. 2 in the world and also received awards as the Best Airline in Asia, the World’s Best Business Class seat and for having the Best Premium Economy Onboard Catering.
- The survey covered over 325 airlines, from largest international airlines to smaller domestic carriers.
- It measures Quality standards for 41 KPI’s across front-line product and service factors in the Airport and Onboard environments.
Science & Technology
NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) engineers, for the first time tested the effectiveness of a flexible solar array on space station that could be used to power satellites and spacecrafts in future.
- The Roll-Out Solar Array, or ROSA is an advanced, flexible solar array that rolls out like a tape measure and can be easily adapted to different sizes, including very large arrays, to provide power for a variety of future spacecraft.
- ROSA is 20% lighter and four times smaller in volume than rigid panel arrays.
Sports Current Affairs
ICC Women’s World Cup winner to get USD 660,000 prize money
- The eight top teams of the world will be competing for a winner’s prize of USD 660,000 in the ICC Women’s World Cup.
- The ICC had earlier in May announced that the total prize money for the tournament would be USD 2 million which is 10 times of the amount at stake in the 2013 edition.
- The prize money filters down with the runner-up winning USD 330,000 and the losing semifinalists getting USD 165,000 each.
Anil Kumble steps down as India coach
- Anil Kumble has stepped down after a bitter quarrel with Captain Virat Kohli.
- The team did well under Kumble in the past 12 months, winning Test series in the West Indies (2-0) before winning at home against New Zealand (3-0), England (4-0), Bangladesh (1- 0) and Australia (2-1).
- Kumble’s one year contract expired at the end of the Champions Trophy but he was given the option to travel with the team to the West Indies.
- BCCI had invited fresh applications for the post of head coach days before the start of Champions Trophy.