- Assam Forest Department, conducted a survey in Manas National Park to estimate the number of Pygmy Hogs (small and rare wild pigs), during which approximately 21 nests, spread across 3 different locations, were found.
- Hispid hares pellets too were found in almost 17 of those locations.
- Manas is one of the last known wild habitat for Pygmy Hogs. The Pygmy Hogs which are captured from here are captive-bred at Pygmy Hog Conservation Centre at Basistha(Guwahati ) and then later on introduced in Nameri Tiger Reserve, Orang National Park and Sonai Rupai wildlife sanctuary.
- Both these species fall under Schedule 1 endangered species.
- Under Wildlife Protection Act 1972, Schedule I and II species are provided absolute protection, where in offenders are heavily penalized.
- Endangered Species
- Wildlife Protection Act 1972
- Manas National Park