Download : 20th June, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
114-year-old Taj Palace becomes first Indian building to get trademark
- It has become the first Indian building to get itself trademarked, thereby joining the elite and small club of trademarked properties in the world which includes the Empire State Building in New York, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Sydney Opera House.
- Taj Palace getting a trademark is a unique instance as the registration of an architectural design has never been attempted since the Trademark Act came into force in 1999.
Energy Conservation Building Code 2017
- Objective: ECBC 2017 aims to optimize energy savings with the comfort levels for occupants, and prefers life-cycle cost effectiveness to achieve energy neutrality in commercial buildings.
- ECBC 2017 has been developed by Ministry of Power and Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) with technical support from United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under the U.S. – India bilateral Partnership to Advance Clean Energy – Deployment Technical Assistance (PACE-D TA) Program.
National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India
- This Mission includes data mapping, demography building formalizing the processes and bringing all the cultural activities under one web-based umbrella for better results.
- The mission aims at converting the vast and widespread cultural canvas of India into an objective cultural map.
- It helps in designing a mechanism to fulfill the aspirations of the whole artist community of the nation.
- It also preserves the rich cultural heritage of this country in the form of a cultural repository of artists and art forms.
- The exercise will help the government to start the process of scaling up the efforts to cover all the Blocks of the Country.
- The scheme is set to cover all the Blocks of the Country, involving a total of 6.40 Lakh villages over the span of next 3 years
International Current Affairs
Record 65.6 Million People Displaced Worldwide
- UNHCR has recorded 65.6 million people displaced worldwide. Out of this some of them are either refugees, asylum seekers or internally displaced across the globe
- Developing regions host 84% of the world’s refugees. There were 2 million new asylum claims in 2016. Germany received the highest number, followed by the United States, Italy and Turkey.
- As per the report a record 65.6 million people were forcibly displaced at the end of 2016. It is more than the population of Britain – and an increase of 300,000 over the previous year.
India ratifies United Nations Transports Internationaux Routiers(TIR) Convention
- TIR will enable India to implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement, which it entered into this year.
- The convention has been developed and is managed by International Road Transport Union (IRU). At present, there are 70 parties to the convention, including the European Union.
Australia announces online visa applications for Indians from July 1
- In the first four months of 2017 alone, the department of immigration and border protection granted more than 65,000 visitor visas to Indian nationals.
- It will also offer benefits like 24/7 accessibility, electronic payment of the visa application.
Business & Economy
IDBI initiated insolvency proceeding against Lanco, first among 12 accounts identified by RBI
- The company is among 12 firms identified by the central bank with a combined debt of over Rs 1,50,000 crore, a quarter of the total NPAs, for proceedings under the newly enacted Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- According to Lanco Infratec has on March 31, 2016 the amounts mentioned shall be read as Rs 8,146 crore for fund based outstanding exposure and Rs 3,221 crore for non-fund based outstanding exposure
- Total NPAs of the banking system stand at over Rs 8 lakh crore, of which Rs 6 lakh crore is with public sector banks.
- According to bankers these accounts are with SBI (six of them), PNB, ICICI Bank, Union Bank, IDBI Bank and Corporation Bank.
Vedanta to set up steel plant in Jharkhand in JV with JSMDC
- The Vedanta group and Jharkhand Mineral Development Corporation (JSMDC)would jointly set up the plant.
- The total MoU of Rs 700 crore has been signed and project proposals worth Rs 15 to 16,000 crore.
- Priority would be given to mid-term MoUs that could start production within three years of implementation and generate employment.
- The government has also plans to set up a world class airport in Dhalbhumgarh under Ghatsila sub-division of East Singhbum district.
BankBazaar.com opens office in Malaysia
- BankBazaar’s vision is to enable, simplify and improve the financial services value chain for consumers.
- BankBazaar announced an investment of Rs 5 crore in the Malaysian market and an additional Rs 10 crore in its Singapore business.
- It will deploy a team of 30 people to support its expansion in Malaysia in addition to the 40-member Singapore team.
- The company also plans to begin its operations across Australia, Hong Kong, UAE and the Philippines over the next couple of years.
Lockheed signs pact with Tata to make F-16 planes in India
- F-16 production in India supports thousands of Lockheed Martin and F-16 supplier jobs in the U.S.
- It will also create new manufacturing jobs in India, and positions Indian industry at the center of the most extensive fighter aircraft supply ecosystem in the world.
- Tata is already building airframe components for the C-130 military transport aircraft.
- The F-16 production partnership between the world’s largest defense contractor and India’s premier industrial house provides India to produce, operate and export F-16 Block 70 aircraft.
People in News
Govt ropes in Amitabh Bachchan to promote GST
- ST will simplify a web of taxes, regulations and border levies by subsuming an array of central and state levies including excise duty, service tax and VAT.
- GST is an initiative to create ‘one nation, one tax, one market’.
- A four-rate structure that exempts or imposes a low rate of tax 5 per cent on essential items and top rate of 28 per cent on cars and consumer durables has been finalized. The other slabs of tax are 12 and 18 per cent.
Science & Technology
Mangalyaan completes 1000 Earth days in its orbit
- India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), also referred to as Mangalyaan, has completed 1000 Earth days in Martian orbit and is still in good health.
- The designed mission life of Mangalyaan was six months. Thus it has outlived its original lifespan by 5 times.
- During these 1000 days MOM has orbited Mars 388 times and has relayed back enormous data including over 715 images
Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga” to connect people through Yoga for scientific healthy living
- The purpose of the APP is to popularize Yoga and encourage people to participate in it for a scientifically healthy living.
- The App will enable in capturing both mass events being organized in public places, schools and office complexes across the country
China planning to send mini-ecosystems to Moon
- China is planning to send mini-ecosystems which contain potato seeds and silkworm eggs – to the Moon in 2018.
- It has been done to study how the organisms develop on the lunar surface.
- An 18-centimetre-tall cylinder will carry potato seeds and silkworm eggs to be incubated.
Sports Current Affairs
Pakistan beat India by 180 runs to win ICC Champions Trophy 2017 final
- Pakistan has made a history as they have won the ICC Champions Trophy for the first time ever.
- Man of the Tournament and the Golden Ball Award winner (13 wickets) has gone to Hasan Ali.
- The Man of the Match is awarded to Fakhar Zaman.
- Golden Bat Award for scoring 338 runs in the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 goes to Shikhar Dhawan.
Iranian freestylers claim Junior Asian Championships title
- Iranian wrestlers won 7 medals (three gold, two silver and two bronze) and 69 points to win the Junior Asian Championships title.
- Wrestlers from Uzbekistan notched 67 points to rank second, and were followed by Kazakhstan who racked up 53 points.
- Male and female freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers from various Asian countries, including China, Chinese Taipei, India, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Korea and Uzbekistan participated in this tournament.
- India bagged five medals, including a gold in the 2017 Asian Junior Wrestling Championships in Taiwan.
- India’s gold came in the women’s 51kg freestyle category through Puja. Besides Puja, Sonu clinched a silver medal in the 44kg category while Manu claimed a bronze in the 59kg division.
- Satish won a silver in the 120kg greco-roman style while Manish claimed a bronze in the 50kg category.
- On the final day of the Junior Asian Championships, Indian wrestlers clinched three medals, including a gold by Sharvan in men’s 60kg freestyle category.
- Deepak Punia claimed the silver medal in the 84kg freestyle, while Karan settled for a bronze in 66kg freestyle.
Srikanth wins Indonesia Open Super Series Final
|Men’ Singles||Kidambi Srikanth (India)|
|Men’s Doubles||Li Junhui (China) / Liu Yuchen (China)|
|Women’s Singles||Sayako Sato (Japan)|
|Women’s Doubles||Chen Quingchen (China) / Jia Yifan (China)|
|Mixed Doubles||Tontowi Ahmad (Indonesia) / Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia)|