Download : 16th May, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
‘Maa’ committee formed to check mid-day meal quality in UP schools
- Maa committee will aim to get nutritious food prepared in hygienic conditions.
- It will be a committee of six mothers, from all sections of society, whose students are studying in primary school.
- There are 1.78 crore children studying in 1.68 lakh government schools in 75 districts of the state. This includes 1.14 lakh primary schools (class I-V) and 54,000 upper primary schools (class VI-VIII).
- It will be directed that from this session punctuality of teachers and introduction of new uniforms and school bags will also be considered.
Centre to spend Rs.11,000cr on roads in Naxal-hit districts
- Centre will spend Rs 11,000-crore on roads in Naxal affected areas. It will provide road connectivity to 44 Naxal-affected districts.
- The project will be implemented under the PradhanMantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
- Under this scheme districts in Chattisgarh, Odisha, Jharkhand, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana and Maharashtra will be covered.
- Under this project there will be construction or repair (upgrade) of 5,411 km of roads and 126 bridges.
2nd NPDRR meeting in Delhi inaugurated
- The event has welcomed entries from over 500 applicants from countries across the world.
- The theme of NPDRR is Disaster Risk Reduction for Sustainable Development: Making India resilient by 2030.
- The event was preceded by 14 pre-events. It is organized by the National Disaster Management Authority and the National Institute of Disaster Management, on various issues of disaster risk reduction
- The meeting will include a Plenary Session, one session on outcomes of pre-events, four technical sessions on four priority areas of Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, one technical session on monitoring of Sendai Framework and a closing cum valedictory session.
Railways to install CCTV cameras at over 900 stations under Nirbhaya fund
- Indian Railways will install about 19,000 high definition CCTV cameras at 983 stations across the country to strengthen security of passengers including women at rail premises
- Amount of 500 crore from Nirbhaya Fund has been approved for this project
- The CCTV cameras will be installed on platforms and waiting areas.
- The footage of CCTV cameras will be continuously monitored by trained Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel.
People in News
Former Puducherry CM Ramaswamy passes away
- Former Puducherry Chief Minister Subrahmanyan Ramaswamy passed away at the age of 80.
- Subrahmanyan Ramaswamy was the Home Minister in the DMK-CPI coalition ministry from 1969 to 1973.
- He became Chief Minister of AIADMK in 1974 heading the AIADMK-CPI coalition ministry for a brief period.
- He was also the Chief Minister in the AIADMK government in 1977, which lasted in office for a little over one year.
Former PIO Rammohan Rao passes away
- Rammohan Rao, who had served as a media adviser to four prime ministers and former Principal Information Officer (PIO), passed away at the age of 83.
- Rao started his career with the Information Service in the 50s.
- He had served as media adviser to four former Prime Ministers – Rajiv Gandhi, V.P. Singh, Chandrashekhar and P.V. Narasimha Rao.
Pawan Kumar Chamling conferred with first BS Shekhawat award by President
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling was conferred with the first Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Lifetime Achievement Honour in Public Service.
- Main aim of this award is to deliver public service and to bring change in the life of people and improve their living conditions.
Adiyogi bust’ declared world’s largest by Guinness Book of World Records
- The 112 feet tall ‘Adiyogi’ Lord Shiva steel statue has been declared the world’s largest bust by the Guinness Books of World Records.
- It is situated in Coimbatore at the Isha Yoga Centre.
- It took thirty months to design and eight months to erect this statue.
Nepalese woman breaks world record for Most Everest summits
- 44-year-old Nepalese mountaineer Lhakpa Sherpa has broken her own world record for the most Everest summits by a woman after scaling the world’s tallest peak for the eighth time.
- Lhakpa Sherpa conquered Mt Everest for the eighth time from the North Col.
- Lhakpa scaled Mt Everest from Tibet side for the seventh time in the last spring season.
Mumbai crowned world’s busiest single-runway airport with 1 flight in 65 seconds
- The GVK group-run Mumbai airport has become the world’s busiest single-runway airport.
- The GVK group-run Mumbai airport handles 837 flights a day and in terms of the number of passengers also, the city airport tops with 45.2 million people flying in and out in fiscal 2017.
- Out of the 45.2 million passengers at the Mumbai airport, 12.4 million were international travellers.
- The Mumbai airport handled on an average 48 flights, peaking at even 52 movements at times, making it the busiest in the world.
- In terms of aircraft movement in a day, the city airport had one plane take-off or landing in 65 seconds.
Sports Current Affairs
Asian Wrestling Championship, New Delhi
- Asian Wrestling Championship concluded on May 14, 2017 in New Delhi. Indian wrestlers bagged total 10 medals (1 Gold, 5 Silver and 4 Bronze).
- In men’s freestyle category, Iran won the championship title with 71 points, followed by Japan with 55 points and Uzbekistan with 49 points. India finished at eight position with 33 points.
- Among women’s teams, Japan won the title. Indian women’s team finished second.
Arjun Maini becomes First Indian to Win a GP3 Race
- Indian motor racing driver Arjun Maini became the first Indian to win a race in the GP3 Series in Barcelona, Spain.
- In this race, Arjun stole the lead from pole-sitter Raoul Hyman in the first lap, and maintained his position to take the victory with an amazing six second gap to the nearest car behind him.
- Arjun Maini drives for Jenzer Motorsports and is supported by JK Racing and TVS.
- Arjun moved to third place in the driver’s championship standings. Nirei Fukuzumi of Japan is at the first place.
Relentless Rafa Wins Fifth Madrid Crown
- Rafael Nadal beat Dominic Thiem to win Mutua Madrid Open at La Caja Mágica in Madrid, Spain.
- This is Nadal’s fifth Mutua Madrid Open title win and 30th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown.
- Rafael now stands with Novak Djokovic in lead position with 30 Masters 1000 Titles.