Download : 14th June, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
MHA panel to examine rules on people’s movement near Indo-Myanmar border
- The committee will beheaded by the special secretary (Internal Security) in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- It will be an expert committee to examine the rules which allows free movement of Indian and Myanmarese citizens within 16 kms of the border.
2.5 lakh Child labourers in Uttar Pradesh– CRY report
- As per a report released by Child Rights and You (CRY), Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of children (250672) engaged in labour.
- Over 8 lakh children in India between theage group 5 and 6 years are engaged in child labour. Over 60% of these children do not attend school.
- Majority of these kids are engaged in family based employments.
- Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of children engaged in labour, followed by Bihar (128087 children) and Maharashtra (82847 children).
Sikkim govt signs Mou with British Council
- Objective: To enhance the quality of education in the state.
- The main aim of signing the MoU is to improve the educational structure of the schools of Sikkim.
- The purpose of the MoU is to support the aims and aspirations of the young people of Sikkim through collaborative projects.
- The CM of Sikkim also planned his vision to revolutionize Sikkim’s education and help children achieves greater feats in life.
- The program includes capacity building in teaching, learning and research pedagogy of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and Social Science teachers from undergraduate colleges and universities in Sikkim by UK higher education experts along with internship of young faculties at relevant UK Universities.
Central nod for setting up of 100 AYUSH hospitals
- Union government had approved posting of 4000 AYUSH doctors in primary health centres across the country.
- A total of Rs 283.6 lakh has been released out of sanctioned amount of Rs 563 crore for conservation and development for medicinal plants across Tamil Nadu.
- The ministry has approved setting up of two 50-bedded integrated AYUSH hospitals at Theni and Tiruvannamalai districts in Tamil Nadu.
International Current Affairs
G7 environment ministers meeting 2017 held in Bologna, Italy
- The meeting was attended by the Environment Ministers of the seven countries(US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and Japan) and the Commissioners of the European Union for Environment and Climate.
- ‘5-year Bologna Roadmap’ was adopted at the meeting, which focuses on important issues such as resource efficiency indicators, citizen involvement, awareness on food waste and economic analysis of the efficient use of resources.
SRK, Salman, Akshay part of Forbes’ highest-earning
- Forbes list of the ‘World’s Highest-Paid Celebrities of 2017‘ has been topped by American rapper and entrepreneur Sean Combs, with earnings of 130 million dollars.
- Indian superstars Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar are among Forbes’ annual list of the highest-earning entertainers in the world.
- The list includes American singer and icon Beyonce on the second spot with earnings of USD 105 million. Author J K Rowling, is at number three with USD 95 million.
Panama forges diplomatic ties with China, breaks link with Taiwan
- Panama is establishing full diplomatic links with the second most important customer of its key shipping canal.
- The Panamanian government has announced that it is breaking its ‘diplomatic ties’ with Taiwan, and pledges to end all relations or official contact with Taiwan.
- Panama is one of the Taiwan’s oldest friends.
- Some diplomats in Beijing had speculated that the Central American country could become the next nation to break ties.
Business & Economy
RBI to introduce new series of its Rs 500 note
- The old notes, which were introduced after demonetisation drive in November 2016, will continue to remain the legal tender.
- The central bank, in a statement has said that from time to time the bank introduces new series of legal tender.
- A new batch of banknotes will include the inset letter “A” in both the number panels and will bear the signature of Urjit R Patel the Governor of Reserve Bank of India; with the year of printing ‘2017’ on the reverse, are being issued.
- The central bank said that the notes will bear Swachh Bharat logo on the backside of the banknote.
- Some of the notes would carry an additional character in the space between the prefix and the number of the banknote.
Government imposes anti-dumping duty on Chinese ceramic items
- India has imposed an anti-dumping duty on importof ceramic table and kitchen ware items from China.
- The government has done to protect domestic industry against goods being sold at below normal value.
- The anti-dumping duty imposed shall be levied for a period not exceeding six months (unless revoked, amended or superseded earlier).
- The main reason of dumping is that the ceramic tableware and kitchenware are being exported from China to India below its normal value.
Bihar’s Nalanda model of water conservation chosen for national award
- Water conservation model, ‘Project Jal Sanchay’in Nalanda district of Bihar has been selected for the national award for excellence in the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme (MGNREGP), by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- Check dams were created and traditional Aahar-Pyne irrigation system and traditional water bodies were desilted and renovated.
- A parallel campaign to create awareness about rainwater harvesting was also carried out.
People in News
IRDAI appoints RK Sharma as administrator for Sahara India Life Insurance
- IRDAI has appointed RK Sharma to manage the affairs of the insurer with “immediate effect”.
- The Administrator shall conduct the management of the business of the insurer as per applicable provisions of the Insurance Act, 1938.
- IRDA officially declared that the Policyholders of M/s Sahara India Life Insurance Co. Ltd. are hereby informed that the affairs of the insurer shall be managed by the Administrator.
Science & Technology
India’s first canal top solar PV system at NTPC Mouda
- State-run power NTPC has energised 150 kWp canal top solar PV System on cooling water (CW) channel inside power station premises at its 2,320 MW, Mouda Thermal Power Project, near Nagpur in Maharashtra.
- According to the NTPC the novel Solar PV system makes use of side walls of CW channels as load bearing structure thereby significantly decreasing cost of civil and mounting structure.
- It also has several other unique advantages such as land and water conservation due to reduced evaporation, increased PV generation due to cooling and reduction in dirt, leaves thereby reducing chemicals for water treatment.
Freedom.Desi app released
- Desi helps offline retailers to leverage the benefits of location-based technology to increase footfall and drive sales.
- The mobile-based application uses Wi-Fi sensors to track users in vicinity on a commercial space, log footfalls and also out promotional offers to their app-users in the vicinity
- Through its mobile application, the company said it will offer GST solutions to bring forth improved productivity, and streamline tax processes, enabling retailers to run their business smoothly.
Sports Current Affairs
Virat Kohli reclaims World No.1 ODI ranking
- According to the latest MRF Tyres ICC ODI Player Rankings Indian captain Virat Kohli has reclaimed the world number one position in the ODI batting rankings.
- The rankings were updated after the last round of group matches in the ongoing tournament in England.
Rafael Nadal moves up to No. 2 in ATP ranking, Novak Djokovic slides to fourth
- The top position is retained by Andy Murray.
- Rafael Nadal moved up to 2 spot in the ATP rankings and Novak Djokovic slides from No. 2 to No. 4 ranking.
Jitu Rai-Heena Sidhu pair wins gold in ISSF World Cup, Gabala
- India’s Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu have won the gold medal in mixed team 10m air pistol event of the ISSF World Cup at Gabala, Azerbaijan
- Jitu Rai has finished at 12th position and Heena Sidhu finished at 9th position in their respective qualification rounds.
- Only top 8 are eligible to compete in the finals.
- A total of 430 athletes from 45 nations are participating in the Gabala World Cup to qualify for the ISSF World Cup Finals (WCF)