National Current Affairs
President of Indonesia visits India to Enhance Strategic Partnership
- President of Indonesia, Joko Widodoi was on a three day visit to India
- India and Indonesia signed three agreements in various areas to enhance strategic partnership.
1. MoU on Youth Affairs and Sports Cooperation.
2. MoU on Standardization Cooperation.
3. Joint Communiqué on illegal and Unauthorized Fishing.
Punjab Launches Ambitious Amphibian Bus ‘Harike Cruise’
- Punjab government launched first of its kind, amphibious bus project “Harike Cruise” at the Harike wetland near Amritsar
- The vehicle, which can run both on land and water,was imported from Swedish automobile company Scania and was reassembled in Goa before being brought to Harike.
- The overall cost of the bus has is aboutRs 11 crore.
Uttar Pradesh Government Approves Recommendation of Seventh Pay Commission
- Under the 7th Pay Commission recommendations, the state government employees will get about 10-15 per cent hike in their salaries.
- The pay hike will be applicable from January 1, 2017.
- The pay hike is likely to benefit 21 lakh state employees, teachers, and pensioners of the
- It will add a burden of Rs 24,000 crores on the state government.
International Current Affairs
Sushma Swaraj Named in Top 100 Global Thinkers 2016 list
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has been named among the top 100 global thinker by the US based Foreign Policy magazine.
- Swaraj was named in the Global Thinkers of 2016 List under the ‘Decision-makers’ categoryalong with the Democratic nominee for US President Hillary Clinton, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and US Attorney General Loretta Lynch among others.
Manohar Parrikar on 3 Day Visit to Mauritius
- The visit is to strengthen close political and bilateral strategic ties between the two countries.
- During the visit, Defence Minister will commission a fast patrol vessel, CGS Victory,for the Coast Guard of Mauritius and hand over two upgraded Cheetah helicoptersto the local police of the country.
- Parrikar will also board INS Darshak which is a hydrographic survey ship of the Indian navy and at present is in Mauritian waters.
European Union Signs Deal with Cuba to Normalize Relations
- European Union (EU) and Cubasigned a deal in Brussels, to normalize relations, change interaction on human rights issues and increase already existing business ties between Europe and Cuba.
- Cuba was the only Latin American country that had no “dialogue and cooperation” deal with the 28-nation EU covering issues such as trade, human rights and migration.
- The deal was signed to end a 20-year policy, which stated that Cuba first had to improve its human rights record before getting closer links with the bloc.
- The aim of the agreement is to create a more transparent and predictable atmosphere for economic operators and increase their economic capacity to produce, trade and create jobs.
Business & Economy
UBI adopts two villages in Tripura to implement schemes in line of digital India program
- Kolkata based United Bank of India has adopted Patunagar and Sachindranagar Colony in the state of Tripura to implement schemes in the line of digital India program
- To implement this initiative, the bank has begun campaign to empower villagers to use various mobile applications like Mobile banking, United UPI, e-Passbook etc to facilitate their everyday banking operations.
- The Bank has also planned to provide free Wi-Fi internet connectivity for the two villages towards uninterrupted access to digital and net connectivity.
LIC MF & Standard Chartered Bank to Partner for UPI
- UPI is a payment mechanism which allows instant money transfer without bank details. Instead of bank account number and IFSC code, the virtual payment address is used to pay through the UPI.
- UPI platform would help retail investors to participate actively in mutual fund investment opportunities making the transaction experience user-friendly and hassle free.
- Initially the company will offer the solution only to existing investors through web based online investment channel for lump-sum purchase, which will soon be extended for SIP purchase as well, for existing, new and first time investors in LIC Mutual Fund.
Yes Bank ties with Grofers to deliver cash at doorstep
- Yes Bank has tied-up with e-grocer Grofers to deliver cash at doorstep, allowing customers to get cash of up to Rs 2,000 when they order grocery online.
- Customers who wish to get the money will have to buy grocery of minimum of Rs 2,000 and pair it with a special code.
- Grofers delivery executives will carry PoS machines (powered by Yes Bank) where customers can swipe and get cash direct at their homes
- Earlier, Yes Bank had partnered with app-cab service Ola to deliver cash-on-demand at doorstep.
Venezuela bans 100 bolivars banknote to fight black money
- An emergency order to ban country’s largest banknote 100 bolivars banknoteto be taken out of circulation in the next 72 hours was signed.
- The decision was taken by Venezuelan government to fight smuggling and food scarcity
- Venezuela also shutting down its western border with Colombia for 72 hoursin order to combat currency smuggling
- Venezuela government were given 10 days’ time to exchange 100-bolivar notes for new coins and bills that would range in value from 500 to 20,000 bolivars. New currencies are slated to be introduced on December 15.
People in News
Google’s Pulkit Trivedi joins Facebook India as new Industry Director
- Google’s former Head of Industry, e-commerce Pulkit Trivedi was appointed as Industry Directorfor e-commerce, retail, travel and financial services verticals of Facebook
- Pulkit has 18 years of extensive industry experience covering sales, business development and partnerships. He has worked in Google, Intel, Microsoft, IBM and HCL.
Priyanka Chopra is UNICEF global ambassador
- Priyanka Chopra is appointed as UNICEF Global Goodwill ambassador for the campaign “FOR EVERY CHILD”
- She would be joined with Jackie Chan, Orlando Bloom and David Beckham to works towards protecting children’s rights around the world.
Akbar Ebrahim elected as the president of FMSCI
- Veteran Akbar Ebrahim has been elected as the president of Chennai based Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI)
- J Prithivirajwas elected as the vice-president and also councillors were elected for various motor clubs.
Cristiano Ronaldo defeats Lionel Messi to win Ballon d’Or 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid, beat rival Lionel Messi to win the prestigious Ballon d’Or award for a fourth time.
- Lionel Messi took the honour for a fifth time last year. Atletico Madrid’s French forward Antoine Griezmann finished third in the vote.
- The Ballon d’Or is voted for by 173 journalists from around the world.
Indian Origin Apoorva Mehta, Vivek Ramaswamy Listed In Forbes List Of US’ Richest Entrepreneurs Under 40
- Two Indians have been listed in Forbes magazine’s second annual list of wealthiest entrepreneurs under the age of 40.
- Vivek Ramaswamy,a successful biotech entrepreneur has been ranked 24th on ‘America’s Richest Entrepreneurs Under 40 2016’ list having a networth of 600 million dollars while Apoorva Mehta stands at 31st spot with a 360 million dollars networth.
- The list has been topped by Zuckerberg, whose Facebook shares and net worth is now worth USD 50 billion.
- Newcomers to the 2016 ranks include NBA stars Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and boxer Floyd Mayweather as well as pop star Beyonce and actress-turned-consumer products marketer Jessica Alba.
PV Sindhu wins BWF Most Improved Player award
- Rio Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu awarded with Badminton World Federation (BWF) Most Improved Player of the Year award
- BWF also unveiled the first five Integrity Ambassadors for their “i am badminton” programme includes Misaki Matsutomo, Ayaka Takanashi, Viktor Axelsen, Christinna Pedersen and Saina Newhal
Sports Current Affairs
Faf du Plessis the new test captain of South Africa as AB de Villiers steps down
- AB de Villiers voluntarily stepped down from captaincy. The decision taken by deVilliers was to focus more on his fitness as he has undergone an elbow surgery recently.
- Under the captaincy of Faf du Plessis South Africa defeated Australia last month in both test and ODI. However that time Faf was just a provisional captain. But now he has been appointed as the full time test captain by Cricket South Africa (CSA).
- AB de Villiers will remain the captain of the One Day International team. Faf Du Plessis is also the T-20 captain of South Africa.
Pankaj Advani beats Singapore’s Peter Gilchrist to clinch his 11th World Billiards Championship
- Pankaj Advani won the IBSF World Billiards Championship in Bengaluru
- Advani beat multiple world champion, Peter Gilchrist of Singapore by 6-3 in the final match to claim his 11th World Billiards Championship and 16th overall world title.
Adelaide Oval, Australia to host first ever Day and Night Ashes
- Cricket Australia (CA)has announced that the first ever Day and Night Ashes test match will be played at Adelaide Oval from 2-6 December 2017.
- Out of the 5 match test series this will be the 2ndtest match which will be the first day and night Ashes.
- The Ashes is a Test cricket series played between England and Australia and the first match was played in Melbourne, Australia, in 1877.
Download : 14th December, 2016 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )