Download : 13th February, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
2017 National Women’s Parliament held in Andhra Pradesh
- National Women’s Parliamentwas organized by the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly in association with MAEER’s MIT School of Governance in Andhra Pradesh.
- The vision of the conclave is to provide a platform to enable and encourage social, political and economic empowerment of women in all strata of the society.
Second edition of International Spice Conference Begins at Thiruvanantapuram
- The theme of the conference is “21st Century Spic Industry-Disrupt or be Disrupted”
- The main aim of the event is to deliberate on effective strategies and innovative technologies to improve the livelihood of spice farmers, address spice industry challenges, food safety concern, demand supply disparity and foster sustainable growth.
- Over 800 delegates, including 250 delegates from foreign countries will take part in the conference.
- A target of five billion by 2021 for spice export has been set, up from the current export of Rs 2.5-billion.
IIT Kharagpur to launch India’s first School on Quality and Reliability
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur is starting India’s first inter-disciplinary School on Quality and Reliability (Q&R) in India.
- The main of the establishing the school is to improve the quality of life for the people of India as well as develop quality conscious global citizens.
- Besides quality, the school will also help to improve the trinity of 3Ps namely Process, Planet and People with target on Engineering, Human and Natural systems.
- The School will be interdisciplinary with faculty members and students from various disciplines.
India Decides to Host Counter-Radicalisation Conference with ASEAN
- India has decided to conduct Conference with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to share experiences and ideas from the member countries on preventing radicalization and promoting de radicalisation.
- The event will deal with the growing IS threat and make effort to counter radicalization and misuse of religion by groups and countries for inciting hatred and terrorism.
- With the conference, India plans to share experience and benefit from that of ASEAN countries, especially Malaysia and Indonesia which are working on this aspect and India wants to gain from their expertise.
FSSAI sets up 11-member panel to finalize Food Fortification Laws
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has set up a 11-member scientific panel to frame final regulations on fortification of foods and prepare strategies to address malnutrition problem.
- Fortification means deliberately adding or increasing the content of essential micro nutrients in food items to improve quality.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has already issued the draft guidelines on fortification for five food items including salt, milk, wheat flour, rice and edible oil to boost production and consumption of fortified foods.
- The Panel will be responsible to identify critical nutritional gaps in the Indian diet in general and in specific target groups based on diet surveys and credible scientific evidence.
- It will define strategies to address nutritional needs of the general population and vulnerable groups, besides reviewing the standards for all suitable food fortifying vehicles.
- The panel will also address regulatory and related technological issues, review proposals from industry using modern risk assessment methods, and prescribe standard sampling and test methods for effective monitoring, surveillance and enforcement of the relevant regulations.
Business and Economy
Government Approves Setting Rs. 6,831 crore Electronics Development Fund
- The Government has approved setting up the Electronic Development Fund with a total corpus of 6,831 crores to support entrepreneurship and innovation in electronics and IT.
- The Electronic Development Fund will help to contribute to various other funds under it for
those who invest the money in companies for creation of intellectual property rights in the field of electronics and IT.
People in News
Diego Maradona Gets Ambassador Role at FIFA.
- FIFA governing body has named Argentina’s former soccer player Diego Maradona as the new Ambassador of the FIFA
- Maradona will have major role in FIFA’s activities to promote the game across the globe and will also be be involved in relevant development projects.
Dr Neelu Rohmetra, First Woman Indian Institute of Management Director
- Neelu Rohmetra of Jammu University has been appointed as one of heads of IIMs. Now she became the first woman director of Indian Institute of Management Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Professor Neelu Rohmetra is currently the Rector of Kathua and Billawar Campuses of Jammu University Business School and shealso the founder director of International Centre for Cross-Cultural Research and Human Resource Management (ICccR and HRM), University of Jammu.
Narinder Chauhan appointed as Ambassador of India to the Republic of Philippines
- Former IFS officer Narinder Chauhan has been appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Republic of Philippines.
Eminent journalist and Laughter Persona Pandit Dharmsheel Chaturvedi Dies
- Eminent thinker, writer and journalist Pandit Dharmsheel Chaturvedi passed away.
- The Hindi Kavi Pt. Dharmsheel Chaturvedi was considered ‘Swayam Mein Benaras’ means ‘Banaras in Himslef’ in elite circle.
Former Dutch Football Player Piet Keizer Dies at 73
- Former professional Dutch football player Piet Keizer passed away at the age of 73.
- From 1961 till 1974 he played for the football club AFC Ajax. He played total 490 matches and scored 189 goals.
- He won several awards including European Champions Cup in 1971, 1972 and 1973, the club World Cup in 1972 and a total of six national titles.
Jiro Taniguchi, a Japanese manga legend Dies at 69
- Taniguchi began his career as an assistant to the artist Kyota Ishikawa. His own first piece of manga was published in the year 1970 named “A Desiccated Summer”.
- Taniguchi first shot to fame in Japan at the end of the 1980s with the first volume of “The Times of Botchan”
- His other works include Icarus, A Distant Neighborhood and Quartier Lointain. He was well known for his exquisite line drawing of scenes from everyday life.
Science & Technology
US and Japan Successfully Conducts Test Flight of New Ballistic Missile Defence System
- United States and Japan successfully conducted a flight test of a Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA from the Pacific Missile Range Facility at Kauai, off the coast of
- The next-generation SM-3 Block IIA Interceptor has been jointly developed by the U.S. defense firm Raytheon and Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to destroy an incoming ballistic missile target and is launched from US warship.
- The SM-3 Block IIA interceptor is designed to destroy short-to intermediate-range ballistic missile threats and can be deployed at land-based Aegis Ashore sites and Aegis-equipped warships.
Sports Current Affairs
Ravichandran Ashwin becomes the fastest bowler to take 250 Test wickets
- Indian off-spin specialist Ravichandran Ashwin became the fastest cricketer to take 250 wickets in Test matches. He achieved this feat in his 45th test match.
- Ashwin surpassed Australian fast bowler Dennis Keith Lillee, who played 48 matches to reach the milestone of 250 Test wicket.
- Ravichandran Ashwin has become the sixth Indian bowler to reach 250 test wickets.
India Beat Pakistan to Win T20 World Cup for Blind
- India defeated Pakistan by 9 wickets to clinch the T20 World Cup for Blind tournament
- Pakistan set a target of 198 runs for India to win. India chased the total with a loss of one wicket and 14 spare balls.
- This was the second edition of the tournament. The first edition was played in 2012 in which India beat Pakistan by 29 runs.
- Rahul Dravid, the former Indian Cricketer and Captain was the brand ambassador for 2017 T20 Blind Cricket World Cup.
NBA & Take Two to Launch NBA 2K E-League
- National Basketball Association (NBA), an American professional basketball league, is creating a brand new e-sports league called NBA 2K e-League in partnership with Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., the developers of the popular NBA 2K video games.
- The e-League will be similar to the typical NBA tournament. Each team will have five players, and play in a real league format complete with a regular season, playoffs, and a championship matchup.
- The main objective of NBA behind launching such e-league is to attract a new demographic of viewers, not only to watch e-Sports, but also become fans of basketball and also to grow the game of basketball among the one who might be playing some other game.