Download : 11th Sep, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
Assam enacts Industrial Disputes (Assam Amendment) Bill 2017
On 7th September 2017, Assam passed the Industrial Disputes (Assam Amendment) Bill, 2017, regarding lay off of employees, in Guwahati.
Industrial Disputes Assam Amendment Bill, 2017:
- The law enables employers to lay off up to 300 employees without prior permission from the government.
- The employee count has been increased from 100 to 300.
- The law is said to increase the ease of doing business. As, employers are hesitant to recruit more number of employees because when the employee count increases more than 100, there would be problems during lay off.
- The Government has decided to increase the compensation of a labourer from the current 15 days salary to up to 60 days salary.
MoS Jitendra Singh to inaugurate North East Calling festival in New Delhi
Minister of State in the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh inaugurated the “North East Calling” festival in New Delhi on 9th of Sept. 2017.
- The two-day event is being organised by the Ministry of DoNER under its Destination North East series for this year.
- The purpose of the event is to promote the art, culture, heritage, cuisine, handicrafts, business and tourism of North East India.
- Dr Jitendra Singh has also launched ‘North East Venture Fund’, which is a joint initiative of Ministry of DoNER and North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd.
- The objective of the fund is to promote entrepreneurship and Start up in the North Eastern Region.
- It is the first dedicated Venture Fund for the region with a cost of Rs 100 crores.
- The Minister also launched North East Tourism Development Council with objective to promote sustainable tourism in North East India.
- The Cabinet Secretary Shri P K Sinha will be the Chief Guest at the Closing Ceremony.
West Bengal leads in new tax registration under GST regime
According to the reports, the national average is 23%; Bengal leads the pack with as high as 77% in new tax registration under the GST regime in India.
- As per the reports, about 245,000 people in the state are tax payers while the number in the country stands at around 8 million.
- States such as Gujarat and Maharashtra are behind West Bengal in GST registration.
- The figures were disclosed by Mr Arvind Singh, the new principal commissioner of GST & CX, eastern region.
- The figures were disclosed at a session titled “Democratisation of Services” on the second of the two-day ICT East organized by CII.
About West Bengal
- Capital: Kolkata
- Governor: Keshari Nath Tripathi
- CM: Mamata Banerjee
Government to launch ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’ scheme to enroll 80 lakh kids
On 8th September 2017, Union Human Resource Development Minister Mr.Prakash Javadekar announced that Government would implement ‘School Chalo Abhiyan’ scheme in 2018, in New Delhi.
School Chalo Abhiyan:
- This scheme has been introduced in order to enroll students who have dropped out from school.
- The scheme aims to enroll 70 to 80 lakh students around the country.
- If the scheme succeeds it would gain India 100 % literacy status. India has already seen a good development in the field of literacy. Since Independence, literacy rate has increased from 18 % to 81%.
About Ministry of Human Resource Development:
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Minister – Mr.Prakash Javadekar
- Deputy Ministers (Ministers of State) – Mr.Upendra Kushwaha, Mr.Mahendra Nath Pandey
Centre allots Rs.60,000 crore to Interlink Rivers in Maharashtra
On 9th September 2017, Union Water Resources Minister Mr.Nitin Gadkari and Chief Minister of Maharashtra Mr.Devendra Fadnavis announced a project to link rivers in Maharashtra, in Mumbai.
The Interlinking of rivers:
- Two major river linking projects in Maharashtra – Par-Tapi-Narmada and Damanganga-Pinjal worth Rs.20,000 crore are about to start.
- Central Government is to allocate funds of Rs.60,000 crore altogether for all the river linking projects in Maharashtra for the next two years under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
- Fadnavis has proposed four more river interlinking projects in Maharashtra worth Rs.10,000 crore.
- The four projects are as follows:
- interlinking of Damanganga-Godavari
- interlinking of Damanganga-Vaitarna-Godavari
- interlinking of Par-Godavari
- interlinking of Nar-Par-Girna
- These river linking projects would help to tackle the water scarcity in Marathwada and
- Gadkari said that the total irrigated land in the state is 22 % and he and the Chief Minister would ensure that it crosses 40 %.
- Capital – Mumbai
- Chief Minister – Mr.Devendra Fadnavis
- Governor- Mr.C.Vidyasagar Rao
- Official language – Marathi
Navika Sagar Parikrama: India’s first all-women circumnavigation expedition flagged-off
India’s first all-women crew circumnavigation expedition named as Navika Sagar Parikrama was flagged off by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in Goa.
- The crew belongs to Indian Navy and is sailing Indian Naval Sailing Vessel Tarini (INSV Tarini).
- It will circumnavigate globe in approximately 165 days and is expected to return to Goa in April 2018.
- The expedition will be covered in five legs, with stop-overs at 4 ports viz. Fremantle (Australia), Lyttleton (New Zealand), Port Stanley (Falklands) and Cape Town (South Africa) for replenishment of ration and repairs as necessary.
- The 6 member crew: Lt Cdr Vartika Joshi and Lt Payal Gupta from Uttarakhand, Lt Cdr P Swathi (Andhra Pradesh), Lt Cdr Pratibha Jamwal (Himachal Pradesh), Lt Aishwarya Boddapati (Telangana) and Lt Shourgrakpam Vijaya Devi (Manipur).
- Women Empowerment: It has been named Navika Sagar Parikrama in consonance with National policy to empower women to attain their full potential. It will help to discard societal attitudes and mindset towards women in India by raising visibility of their participation in challenging environment.
- Environment Friendly: The expedition also aims at harnessing renewable energy as sailing encourages use of environment friendly non-conventional renewable energy resources. During their voyage, the crew will collect and update Ocean/Meteorological/Wave data on regular basis for accurate weather forecast by India Meteorological Department (IMD) and subsequent analysis by R&D organisations. It will also monitor and report marine pollution on high seas.
- INSV Tarini is a 55-foot sailing vessel, built indigenously by M/s Aquarius Shipyard Pvt Ltd, Goa. It was inducted in Indian Navy in February 2017. Its mast is 25 metres and has been custom-built by M/s Southern Spars, Cape Town (South Africa), for sailing in extreme conditions.
- It carries a suite of six sails, including a main sail, head sails (Genoa and stay sails), downwind sails and storm sail. It has Raymarine navigation suite and array of satellite communication systems on board. It is sister vessel of INSV Mhadei which was used by Captain (Retd) Dilip Donde to successfully undertake India’s first solo circumnavigation in 2009.
SIM cards not linked to Aadhaar to be deactivated after Feb 2018
The Centre has issued a notice, stating that all the SIM cards have to be linked to Aadhaar before February 2018 to avoid deactivation of the phone numbers.
- It is being done to prevent criminals, fraudsters, and terrorists from using SIMs in the name of ordinary citizens.
- The Centre has also directed the telecom companies to inform their subscribers about the linking of cell phones to Aadhaar through emails, text messages or advertisements.
- As per the news agency IANS that linking of Aadhaar and mobile is being done as per the orders of the Supreme Court passed in February 2017 in the Lokniti foundation case.
- All SIM cards have to be verified with Aadhaar within a year from the date of judgement.
- A bench comprising of former Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justice N V Ramana said the verification of existing pre-paid mobile users, running into crores, be done within one year.
- According to the sources biometrics cannot be stored by the mobile operators nor do they have access to any of the other personal data.
Government to launch Project Insight
The Union Finance Ministry is planning to launch ‘Project Insight’ from October 2017 to monitor high value transactions and detect tax evaders using technology with a view to curbing circulation of black money.
- To implement the project government has signed contract with Information Technology major L&T Infotech Ltd.
- The project will add to list of efforts made by government to curb black money like Operation Clean Money’ after demonetisation, Income Disclosure Scheme, GST implementation, amendment DTAA with other countries etc.
- It will use data mining, big data analytics to scoop out tax evaders from social media platforms to deduce mismatches between spending pattern and income declaration. The linking of PAN (Permanent Account Number) with Aadhaar will be key identifier to be used by IT Department to link and analyse various transactions relating to tax payers.
- The integrated information technology platform will help in catching tax evaders in non-intrusive manner using technology and without traditional intrusive methods like search and seizure. It will use technology to allow government collate databases of IT forms, IT returns, TDS/TCS statements and Statement of Financial Transactions received from financial institutions.
- Its reporting compliance management system will ensure that third party reporting entities like banks and other financial institutions is timely and accurate. It will also set up streamlined data exchange mechanism for other government departments.
- It will also be leveraged for implementation of Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act Inter Governmental Agreement (FATCA IGA) and Common Reporting Standard (CRS). IT Department is going to set up new Compliance Management Centralised Processing Centre (CMCPC) for handling preliminary verification, campaign management, generation of bulk letters/notices and follow-up.
- Project Insights will play key role in widening of tax base and data mining to track tax evaders.
- It will help in catching tax evaders in non-intrusive manner like search and seizure.
- It will help to promote voluntary compliance and also enable taxpayers to resolve simple compliance related issues in online manner without visiting Income tax office.
Commerce Ministry launches [email protected] for effective resolution of foreign trade-related issues
The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industries has set up [email protected], an online service facility for effective resolution of foreign trade-related issues of importers and exporters.
The facility was activated on Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) website. It will enable traders to raise all trade related matters to Directorate or other agencies of Centre and States.
To ensure systematic monitoring and effective resolution of issues, DGFT has requested exporters and importers to not to send their queries through social media platforms and use [email protected] service instead. The DGFT has sent notice to all regional authorities, commodity boards, export promotion councils and members of trade and industry confirming activation of facility for expeditious resolution of issues.
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT)
The DGFT is nodal agency responsible for execution of import and export Policies of India. It is entrusted with responsibilities for formulating and implementing foreign trade policy with main objective of promoting India’s exports.
International Current Affairs
2nd India-Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Council held in New Delhi
The second edition of India-Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Council was held in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Afghan Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani.
During the meeting, both countries exchanged four pacts in areas of health, transport (motor vehicles agreement), space and new development partnership.
Key Takeaways from Council meeting
- The Council discussed a range of bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest and shared understanding and convergence of views on them. They agreed to strengthen security cooperation between the two countries.
- Peace and reconciliation process: Indian reiterated its support for an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace and reconciliation process. India also agreed to extend further assistance for the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces in fighting terrorism, organized crime, trafficking of narcotics and money laundering.
- Connectivity: Development of Chahbahar Port in trilateral cooperation with Iran is being expedited. Both sides stressed on need to make regional Transit and Trade Agreement more inclusive and comprehensive by expanding it both northwards and southwards to connect South Asia with Central Asia.
- Developmental Projects: Both sides agreed to take up 116 High Impact Community Development Projects to be implemented in 31 provinces of Afghanistan, including in areas of education, health, agriculture, drinking water, renewable energy, flood control, and administrative infrastructure.
- Trade and investment: Both sides agreed to identify products and measures to enhance bilateral trade, including direct trade in gemstones, pharmaceuticals, and agri-products. India announced liberalization of visa measures for Afghan nationals, including decision to grant upto 5 year multiple entry business visa.
- Regular meetings: They agreed to have regular meetings of the Joint Working Groups, including to monitor implementation of the decisions taken. They also agreed to hold 3rd meeting of Strategic Partnership Council in Kabul on mutually convenient dates in 2018.
- The India-Afghanistan Partnership Council was established according to the Strategic Partnership Agreement signed between both countries in 2011.
- The council is supposed to meet annually.
- The first meeting was held in May 2012. Later it was delayed due to elections in India and Afghanistan, as well as other reasons.
AU names two Pluto mountains after Tenzing Norgay, Edmund Hillary
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named two mountain ranges on icy dwarf planet Pluto as Tenzing Montes and Hillary Montes after Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary.
Indian/Nepali Sherpa Tenzing Norgay (1914-1986) and New Zealand Edmund Hillary (1919-2008) were the first mountaineer to reach the summit of Mount Everest and return safely in 1953.
- These two names were among 14 other names officially approved for naming 14 geographical features on icy dwarf planet by Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature of IAU, the internationally recognised authority for naming celestial bodies and their surface features.
- These are first geological features on Pluto to be named following close flyby by New Horizons spacecraft in July 2015. The names pay homage to the underworld mythology, historic pioneers who crossed new horizons in exploration, pioneering space missions and scientists and engineers associated with Pluto and the Kuiper Belt.
NASA’s New Horizons team proposed the names to IAU following first reconnaissance of Pluto and its moons by the New Horizons spacecraft. Some of names were also suggested by public during ‘Our Pluto’ campaign, which was launched as a partnership between IAU, the New Horizons project and SETI Institute.
International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- IAU is international association of professional astronomers, at the PhD level and beyond, active in professional education and research in astronomy. It was founded in 1919. It has 12625 members. Its mission is to promote and safeguard the science of astronomy in all its aspects through international cooperation.
- Its mandate is to promote and safeguard the science of astronomy in all its aspects through international cooperation. It also acts as internationally recognized authority for assigning designations (names) to celestial bodies (stars, planets, asteroids, etc) and any surface features on them.
Banking & Finance
PACL, 4 directors fined Rs 2423 crore, highest ever Sebi penalty on a defaulter
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) had imposed Rs 2,423 crore fine on PACL Ltd and its four directors for illegal fund mobilisation through various schemes.
- PACL group, which had collected money in the name of real estate projects among other schemes, was asked by SEBI nearly three years ago to refund Rs. 49,100 crore to the investors.
- According to the SEBI Rs 49,100 crore was mobilised by PACL over 15 years through unregistered collective investment schemes in violation of the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992, and SEBI (Collective Investment Schemes) Regulations, 1992.
- The regulator has passed a fresh order to impose a monetary penalty for violation of SEBI’s Prevention of Fraudulent and Unfair Trade Practices Regulations.
- This is the highest penalty ever imposed by SEBI on any alleged capital market defaulter ever.
- The penalty should be remitted within 45 days of receipt of this order jointly and severally by PACL and its four Directors.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) is the regulator for the securities market in India.
- Formed: 12th April 1992
- HQ: Mumbai Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
Exide Life Insurance partners with PMC Bank to offer protection, savings products
Exide Life Insurance has announced a partnership with Punjab & Maharashtra Co-operative Bank (PMC Bank) to offer its protection and savings products to the existing customers.
- Exide Life Insurance works with around 50 banks.
- PMC Bank is a multi-State scheduled urban co-operative bank with 127 branches spread across Maharashtra, Delhi, Karnataka, Goa, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
ICICI Lombard, SBI life Insurance gets SEBI approval for IPO
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company and SBI Life Insurance gets SEBI approval for Initial Public Offering.
About SBI Life Insurance
- SBI Life Insurance has received approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India for an IPO of up to Rs 8,400 crore ($1.3 billion), with launch targeted for the September 20-22 period.
- The IPO will involve 120 million secondary shares, or 12% of the insurer’s equity capital.
- State Bank of India, which currently owns 70.1% of the insurer, will sell 80 million shares and BNP Paribas Cardif, holder of a 26% stake, will sell 40 million.
About ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company has got approval from capital markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)’s which could be the first by a general insurer in the country.
- ICICI Lombard is a joint venture between ICICI Bank and Canada-based Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd.
- According to market sources, the IPO could be worth about Rs 6,000 crore.
IRDAI allows one-time password for opening online insurance account
On 10th September 2017, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) announced usage of OTP (One Time Password) for opening e-Insurance Account (eIA) as an alternative to electronic signature, in New Delhi.
About the one-time password facility:
- IRDAI said that in order to facilitate the opening of e-Insurance Account (eIA) through online or electronic means, the authority has permitted validation by One Time Password (OTP).
- Now, e-signature of the e- insurance account (eIA) holder on the application form for opening the account is considered as a valid authentication.
- Also IRDAI has permitted the e-KYC (Know Your Customer)facility offered by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) which provides unique Aadhaar numbers.
Awards & Recognition
Tahir Mahmood bags N R Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award
Tahir Mahmood has received the prestigious Prof N R Madhava Menon Best Law Teacher Award as part of the Law Teachers’ Day celebrations.
- The function was organised by the Society of Indian Law Firms (SILF) and Menon Institute of Legal Advocacy Training (MILAT).
- Prof N R Madhava Menon and SILF President Lalit Bhasin gave the awards to the recipients.
- Among the institutions, Mar Gregorios College of Law in Thiruvananthapuram had bagged this year’s SILF-MILAT Institutional Excellence Award.
- The SILF-MILAT South Asian Jurist Award had given to former Chief Justice of Sri Lanka, Justice Mohan Peiris, and Prof Tara Prasad Sapkota, the dean of faculty of Law at Tribhuvan University of Nepal.
- Prof V C Vivekanandan has received the SILF-MILAT Legal Education Innovation Award.
- Justice A B Rohatgi Jurist Award was given to former Secretary General of the 15th Lok Sabha, T K Viswanathan.
Science & Technology
DRDO successfully flight tested Anti Tank Guided Missile – NAG
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flight tested India’s indigenously developed third generation Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) ‘Nag.
- The missile was tested in a desert in the western sector of Rajasthan on 9th Sept. 2017.
- According to the reports, ATGM Nag successfully hit both targets under different ranges and conditions with very high accuracy as desired by the armed forces.
- Nag has been successfully flight tested twice by the DRDO against two different targets and the missile can hit a target up to 7 km.
- The complete functionality of Nag ATGM along with launcher system NAMICA has been established and marked the successful completion of development trials of Nag Missile.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is an agency of the Republic of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- Formed: 1958
- Secretary, Department of Defence R&D: Dr.S.Christopher
SpaceX launches US Air Force’s super-secret mini-shuttle
SpaceX has launched the US Air Force’s super-secret space shuttle & a technology tester capable of spending years in orbit.
- According to a SpaceX launch controller The Falcon has safely landed.
- An unmanned Falcon rocket blasted off from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center.
- It’s the fifth flight for one of these crewless mini shuttles, known as the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle.
- This is the first time SpaceX has provided a lift for the experimental mini-shuttle.
- The two Air Force space planes have already logged a combined 5 ½ years in orbit.
- It was SpaceX’s 16th successful return of a first-stage booster. Booster rockets are normally discarded at sea.
Elon Musk shows off SpaceX first full body spacesuit
On 8th September 2017, CEO of SpaceX Billionaire Elon Musk shared a picture of his space exploration startup SpaceX’s first full-body spacesuit on Instagram.
The SpaceX first full body spacesuit:
- The spacesuit is designed to protect astronauts when they are in the space capsule and while moving over to other vehicles like the International Space Station (ISS) under pressurised conditions.
- It is a pressure suit, to be worn by astronauts while riding inside the ‘Crew Dragon’ spacecraft.
- This would be used in case of emergency on the flight.
- If the spacecraft suddenly depressurizes, the suit will keep the astronauts alive until they reach a safe place.
- The suits are tested to double vacuum pressure.
- These suits were not designed for extra-vehicular activity (EVA) and vaccum exposure.
About Elon Musk:
- South African-born Canadian American business magnate, investor, engineer and inventor.
- CEO and CTO of SpaceX
- CEO and product architect of Tesla, Inc.
- CEO of Neuralink
- Chairman of SolarCity
- Co-chairman of OpenAI
Books & Authors
BCCI releases players handbook of ‘100 things every professional cricketer must know’
The BCCI player’s handbook is titled ‘100 things every professional cricketer must know’.
- The handbook document will be the official handbook for all the cricketers registered with the BCCI.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) issued players handbook that covers several issues from money managing to managing emotions.
- The book has been released by Committee of Administrators (CoA).
- The book titled ‘100 things every professional cricketer must know’ which is also in line with Lodha recommendations.
- The handbook has been forwarded by former India captain and current India A coach Rahul Dravid.
- This covers as many as 10 topics including handling pressure, having legal knowledge, dealing with media and knowledge of keeping fit and eating well.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is the national governing body for cricket in India.
- HQ: Wankhede Stadium
- President: Vinod Rai
- Chief Executive: Rahul Johri
- Vice President: Rajeev Shukla
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Announces His First Book ‘Hit Refresh’
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has launched his first book named Hit Refresh. The book includes the inside story of the company’s continuing transformation, Nadella’s own personal journey, Vision for the coming wave of intelligent technologies.
- The book goes on sale globally on 26th September and is available for pre-order.
- Satya Nadella will donate all proceeds from Hit Refresh to Microsoft Philanthropies.
- The book also includes a set of questions for anybody searching for improvement for themselves as leaders, for their institutions and for society.
Sandhu wins Malaysian squash meet to make it 21st consecutive international victory this year
Harinder Pal Sandhu has won the Malaysian Squash Tour. This is his 21st consecutive international match to win in a row.
- He beat Malaysia’s Mohammed Syafiq Kamal to win the final match.
- The tournament was held in in Kuala Lumpur.
India wins 2nd SABA U-16 Championship
On 9th September 2017, India won the Second South Asian Basketball, SABA, Under – 16 Championship, in Kathmandu, Nepal.
About SABA U-16 Championship:
- The championship was held at Dashrath Rangshala Stadium, in Kathmandu.
- India won all its 4 matches and obtained a total of 8 points.
- In its last match India defeated Bhutan by 131 – 50 points.
- India was followed by Bangladesh in the 2ndposition and Nepal in the 3rd.
- The championship followed a round robin league format.
- India has now qualified for the 2017 International Basketball Federation, FIBA,
- Under-16 Asian Championship to be played in Malaysia, in 2017.
- Capital – Kathmandu
- Currency – Nepalese rupee
- President – Ms.Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- Prime Minister – Mr.Sher Bahadur Deuba
- Official language – Nepali
Rafael Nadal wins 2017 US Open title
World number one Rafael Nadal (Spain) won the 2017 US Open title in men’s single category. It was his overall 16th Grand Slam title and third US Open title (2010 and 2013).
In the final match played at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City, Nadal defeated world number 32, Kevin Anderson from South Africa’s by 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 score.
Other Category winners
Women’s singles: Sloane Stephens (US) won the title by defeating Madison Keys (US) by 6–3, 6–0 score.
Men’s doubles: Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands) and Horia Tecau (Romania) pair won the title by defeating Spanish pair of Feliciano López and Marc López by 6–4, 6–3 score.
Women’s doubles: Chan Yung-jan (Chinese Taipei) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) pair defeating Lucie Hradecká and Kateřina Siniaková from Czech Republic by 6–3, 6–2 score.
Mixed doubles: Martina Hingis (Switzerland) and Jamie Murray (United Kingdom) pair defeated Chan Hao-ching (Chinese Taipei) and Michael Venus (New Zealand) by 6–1, 4–6, [10–8] score.
2017 US Open
The 2017 US Open was 137th edition of tennis’ US Open and the fourth and final Grand Slam event of 2017 season. It was held on outdoor hard courts at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City.
World Suicide Prevention Day 2017
On 10th September 2017, World Suicide Prevention Day is observed throughout the world.
About the Suicide Prevention Day:
- This year’s theme is ‘Take a minute, change a life.’
- This is the 15th World Suicide Prevention Day.
- The day was first observed in 2003, as an initiative of the International Association for Suicide Prevention and the World Health Organization.
- Every year, more than 8,00,000 people die by suicide and 65,000 people make a suicide attempt.
- International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) and World Health Organization (WHO) play an important role in promoting this day.
- The following activities are carried out on the World Suicide Prevention Day:
- Launch of new government initiatives to prevent suicide
- Conferences, educational seminars and public lectures regarding suicide prevention
- Media programs that promote suicide prevention
- Memorial services or candlelight ceremonies to remember those who died by suicide.
- Organizing cultural or spiritual events, fairs and exhibitions
- Launches of publications about suicide awareness and prevention
- Training courses about suicide and depression awareness
About WHO (World Health Organisation):
- Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
- Director General – Mr.Tedros Adhanom
Himalaya Day being observed across Uttarakhand on September 9
Himalayan Day will be observed across the country on 9th September and the main programme will be held in Dehradun.
- Himalayan Day would be observed at 400 venues across the country to highlight its importance.
- The theme for this year is ‘Contribution of Himalayas and Our Responsibility’.
- The mission would take out a rally in Dehradun to mark the day and Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat will be the chief guest at the workshop.
- The rally would start from Gandhi Park and culminate at Dunga House.
- A workshop would also be organised to deliberate on issues pertaining to the
- It has been celebrated to address environmental and social problems in the Himalayas region.
- Capital: Dehradun
- Governor: Krishan Kant Paul
- CM: Trivendra Singh Rawat