Download : 11th March, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
International Yoga Fest Began in New Delhi
- More than 3,500 participants including eminent yoga gurus, yoga masters, scholars, policy makers and representatives from 15-18 countries are participating in the mega event.
- It will include parallel yoga workshop, lectures, Satsang, cultural programs and yoga demos.
- Besides, exhibition will be held consisting of more than 50 stalls to showcase books, DVDs, yoga appliances and other yoga related products.
Odisha govt launches 181 helpline for distressed women
- Odisha government has launched 24*7 helpline number 181 to assist women in distress on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- A woman from any part of the Odisha can dial 181 to get immediate assistance.
10th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance
- Theme: Building Knowledge Societies: From Digital Government to Digital Empowerment
- Objective: ICEGOV 2017 focused on the use of technology to transform relationships between government and citizens, businesses & civil society.
President Pranab Mukherjee Confers Standard & Colours Award to 125 Helicopter Squadron and MIT
- The President’s ‘Standard’ and ‘Colours’ recognizes the meritorious service rendered during war and peace.
- The 125 Helicopter Squadron also known as Gladiators of the Indian Air Force (IAF) was recognized for the outstanding role played during the Pathankot terror attacks, in confining the terrorists to a restricted area and reducing the casualties.
People in News
P K Purwar appointed MTNL CMD
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) appointed P K Purwar as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of State-owned telecommunications service provider Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL).
- The appointment effective from 1 March 2017 for the duration of five years.
Former IFS and MP Syed Shahabuddin dies
- Former Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer and parliamentarian Syed Shahabuddin has passed away after a prolonged illness. He was
- Syed began working as a diplomat for the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), later served three terms from 1979-1996as a MP.
- In his bureaucratic stint he served as Joint Secretary in charge of South East Asia, the Indian Ocean and the Pacific in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Shahabuddin was a former President of All India Muslim Majlise Mushawarat left party.
Baichung Bhutia removed as AIFF advisor
- Former India Football captain Bhaichung Bhutia was removed from the post advisor to both the AIFF and President Praful Patel.
- He was removed from the post last December after AGM, It is learnt that out of favour with the All India Football Federation (AIFF) due to differences in opinion this development occurred.
Bala Venkatesh Varma concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to Andorra
- IFS officer, Bala Venkatesh Varma has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Principality of Andorra, with residence in Madrid (Spain).
- Venkatesh was presently working as the ambassador of lndia to the Kingdom of Spain.
Environment and Ecology
Study Finds Earth’s Mantle 60 degrees Hotter than Thought
- The new study could change the thinking of the scientists regarding the issues in Earth science including how ocean basins form.
- The result is significant as a hotter mantle would be more fluid and thus help to better explain the movement of rigid tectonic plates.
Cyclone Enawo kills at least 3 in Madagascar and 500 homeless
- Intense Tropical Cyclone Enawo was the strongest tropical cyclone that hit in the northeast of the Madagascar.
- The cyclone killed at least three people, left nearly 500 people homeless and damaged schools and other buildings, posing grater economic challenges ahead.
- The country issued a red alert for several regions expected to be impacted by the storm.