Download : 11th Aug, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
Dhaka to open diplomatic station in Chennai
- Bangladesh will open a new diplomatic station in Chennai. It is likely to focus on medical tourism and educational centres that drew thousands of Bangladesh citizens to India every year.
- The main focus will be to address the needs of Bangladeshi citizens who visit India for medical and educational purposes.
- Medical treatment will include super-specialty treatment of kidney, eye and neurological issues available in southern India which draws Bangladeshi citizens to India in large numbers.
- The country is going to open 17 new diplomatic missions across the world, including the new one in Chennai.
- Bangladesh emerged as the largest overseas user of India’s health services sector during 2015-16.
- Reports suggest that out of the 4,60,000 foreign patients treated in Indian hospitals, nearly 165,000 were from Bangladesh.
Business & Economy
ICICI bank launches instant credit card with the limit upto 4 lakhs
- ICICI Bank has announced the launch of Instant Credit Card Service that will enable its savings account customers to get a credit card instantly, in a completely digital and paperless manner
- Using the Instant Credit Card Service, pre-qualified customers can apply and get credit card number and other important details online.
- Under which, he/she can immediately start shopping online, without having to wait for the physical card to arrive.
- There is a credit limit of up to Rs 4 lakh based on pre-checked bureau scores.
- The application procedure also incorporates an additional level of authentication in order to make the security of the offering robust.
- Currently, this facility to apply for a credit card is available through the Bank’s internet banking platform.
IDFC Bank partners with ZETA for digital payments solution
- IDFC Bank has partnered with digital payments company Zeta, to launch ‘IDFC Bank Benefits’
- ‘IDFC Bank Benefits’ is a payment solutionfor corporates that digitizes employee spends and claims, making the process simple, real-time and paperless.
- The end-to-end digital solution comprises an IDFC Bank Benefits Card and Zeta app which unite the full suite of allowances and reimbursements offered by an employer into one preloaded card.
- Employees can also access the Benefits Card via the Zeta app on mobile or web.
- This enables them to track spends, entitlement limits and submit claims, digitally.
- The Benefits Card and Zeta app enhancesuser experience as it provides convenience and flexibility to the employee.
- Employees can avail the benefits of the IDFC Benefits card also via the Zeta app on the mobile or on the web and Zeta Super Tag.
Amazon India and Telengana Handloom dept ink pact
- The MoU is signed to educate, train and enable weavers and artisans to directly sell their products to Amazon customers across the country.
- This association will help to elevate popular handloom products from clusters such as are Pochampally, Warangal, Gadwal, Narayanpet and Siddipet which have a tremendous potential and demand in urban areas.
- Its aim is to transform the lives of weavers and artisans and raise their standard of living.
- Telangana will help them boost their business by training them to list and sell their products online on the marketplace.
- They will conduct various training programs including computer and internet training sessions and registration assistance programs.
- The partnership also plans to empower and generate livelihood opportunities and income for the artisans and boost their economy.
Gujarat first state to implement coal utilisation between power units
- Gujarat government has issued a tender for power developers to receive cheap coal. It is marked for the state in return for selling coal-based power at less than Rs 2.82 a unit.
- Through this auction, Gujarat will transfer the coal allocated to power generating stations.
- It is owned by Gujarat State Electricity Corporation (GSECL) to more fuel-efficient private power plants.
- The aim is to reduce the cost of fuel for financially ailing distribution companies and ensure effective distribution of domestic coal.
- Under the new policy, the coal requirement of a state would be clubbed and assigned to the respective state or state-nominated agencies.
- The reverse auction would be held in September for procuring 1,000 megawatt (Mw) of power.
- The average landed cost of coal for the seven thermal power units of GSECL was Rs 4,812 a tonne, of which half is accounted as transportation cost.
- GSECL has allocation from the Korba coalfield in Chhattisgarh and Korea Rewa coalfield in Madhya Pradesh.
- The policy also allowed coal swaps from inefficient plants to efficient ones, and from those situated away from coal mines to the pit-head, to minimize cost of coal transportation.
- The basis of bidding would include the location of source of coal, quantity of coal, quantum of power and delivery point.
People in News
BJP MP from Ajmer and Former Union Minister Ajmer Sanwar Lal Jat passed away
- Jat had served as Minister of State for Water Resources in the Narendra Modi government.
- The leader was appointed as the Chairman of the state Farmers’ Commission in October 2016.
- Jat had defeated Sachin Pilot from Congress in Ajmer during the 2014 LokSabha polls.
Former West Bengal minister Gyan Singh Sohanpal passed away
- Gyan Singh was fondly called “Chacha”. He was elected to the state assembly 10 times.
- He was also a former minister in the Congress government in the state. He had contested last year’s assembly election in the state but was defeated.
- Between 1972 and 1977, he served as transport minister during the chief ministerial stint of Siddhartha Shankar Ray.