Download : 11th April, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
Special digital exhibition marking 100 years of Champaran Satyagraha
- This exhibition has been organized to mark 100 years of Champaran Satyagraha, which was Mahatma Gandhi’s first experiment in using non-violence and non-cooperation as methods to protest.
- Three books to mark 100 years of Champaran Satyagraha – ’Gandhi in Champaran’, ‘Romain Rolland and Gandhi Correspondence’ and “Mahatma Series (8 volumes)” have been released.
Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina’s four day visit to India
- In a bid to strengthen bilateral ties, India and Bangladesh signed 22 agreements for cooperation in various areas viz. civil nuclear cooperation, cyber security, media, judicial sector, peaceful uses of outer space, defence, information technology, electronics and transport connectivity.
- India announced $4.5 billion line of credit for development projects in Bangladesh.
- Trial run of the Kolkata-Khulna passenger train. This train service has been named as Maitree Express-II.
11th Standing Committee Meet of Interstate Council
- The ministers from states of Andhra Pradesh, Punjab and Rajasthan represented these states at meeting.
- Members of Standing Committee includes Union Minister for finance , Corporate Affairs and defence minister, Information and broadcasting, Road transport and shipping.
- The 11th Standing Committee meeting of the council will discuss the recommendations of the Punchhi Commission on Center-State relations.
- Its major agenda is the role of governors, centrally sponsored schemes and financial transfers from center to the states, creation of a unified agricultural market
- Measures to involve States more closely in planning and delivery of services.
- Steps to be taken to make the Inter State council more dynamic and measures towards better fiscal management by the centre and states.
A First in Indian Law: Court Orders Summons on Whatsapp
- The respondent who involves in a property partition dispute was got a writ on Whatsapp messenger Service.
- In such cases summons are usually sent by registered post to the respondent address
- The court in its order mentioned that Order V Rule 9(2) of the Civil Procedure Code (CPC) specifies that summons may be sent in such a manner as the court may direct.
- It shall be treated as a proper mode of service as provided in order V Rule 10 the CPC.
India Mongolia Military Exercise kicks off in Mizoram
- India- Mongolia military exercise training has started at Vairengte in Mizoram. Mongolian Army is represented by 9 officers and 36 soldiers of the elite 084 Special Forces Task Battalion while Indian contingent comprises 3 officers 4 Junior Commissioned officers and 39 soldiers of Jammu and Kashmir Rifles.
- The joint exercise will help in boosting defence co-operation and military relations between the two nations
- It is platform through which both armies are able to share their experiences and gain from it.
- Training includes important aspects like convoy protection, room intervention drills; ambush/counter-ambush drills terrorist operations.
- Its major focus on conducting operations by a cohesive sub-unit, which comprises troops from both the armies.
Business & Economy
FINO Paytech inks deal with ICICI group companies to distribute insurance products
- FINO Paytecha primarily a business correspondent received a license to launch a Payments Bank by RBI.
- FINO Payments Bank will sell Life and General insurance products of ICICI Prudential and ICICI Lombard.
- The Payments Bank will launch its operations with 3-4 products which include current and saving account, Business correspondent lending, remittances and insurance.
- The Bank will also offer products which are related with mobile recharge and bill payments that is currently offered through FINO money mart.
- ICICI group has 16% stake in the business correspondent and it is the largest domestic shareholder
- FINO Paytech has 70% stake with foreign entities.
- The tie-up with ICICI bank will help FINO to extend services which a payments bank is not allowed to offer.
India Nears No.2 Spot as Steel Producer on Record Output
- India set to become the world’s largest steel producer after China while boosting exports to the highest ever.
- India’s output jumped 11% to 101.3 million metric tons and the nation was become a net exporter for the first time in 3 years.
- According to Provisional Steel Ministry data Doubling Shipments reached to 8.2 million. India will overtake Japan as the second biggest producer by 2019.
People in News
Ajit Kumar Srivastava & Shabri Bhattasali new CBDT member
- Ajit Kumar Srivastava and Shabri Bhattsali appointed members of Cental Board Of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- The role of CBDT is to provide inputs for policy and planning of direct taxes in the country.
- It functions like Financial Action Task Force which deals in Money laundering and Black money.
- It helps in administration of Direct taxes throughout India through Income Tax.
Spain’s First Female Defence Minister Carme Chacon Dies
- Carme Chacon, Spain’s first female defence minister and she was a prominent socialist party leader has died at the age of 46.
- She was the party’s secretary for international relations between 2014 and 2016.
- Before taking charge of the Defense Ministry she had previously been minister of housing and a national law
Judge Tej Bahadur Singh Family Court Judge Created Guinness World Record
- Tej Bhadur Singh has set a Guinness World Record for disposing of 6065 cases in just 327 working days.
- Tej Bahadur mentioned in an interview that he decided 6065 cases in 327 days despite lawyers strike in the district.
- His aim was to diminish the number of pending cases in the court in order to provide justice to petitioner as soon as he can.
- This is also the highest number of cases ever disposed of in the country.