Download : 10th May, 2017 - Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF's here )
National Current Affairs
29th India- Indonesia Co-Ordinated Patrol (Corpat) Commences
- The 29th series of India–Indonesia CORPAT is scheduled from 9th to 25th May 17. The Coordinated Patrol serves to enhance mutual understanding and inter–operability between the two navies.
- The visiting crew shall be engaged in interactions at various strata, including sports fixtures, ship visits, professional interactions and visits to places of historical and tourist interests.
Maharashtra bans junk food in school canteens
- Junk food leads to obesity, dental diseases, and diabetes and heart ailments.
- The Maharashtra state government has imposed a ban on the sale of ‘High in Fat, Salt and Sugar’.
- The government includes a list of 20 items that are allowed to be sold in school canteens, replacing the likes of pizzas, noodles and pastries.
- The food items that are allowed to be sold are rotis made of wheat, parathas, multi-grain rotis, rice, vegetable pulavs and many more.
Centre tells States to link Prisons with Courts via video
- The prison e-system should be integrated with Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) as well as e-courts on priority basis.
- Combined training of prison, police, health department and judiciary on under trial management should be conducted periodically.
- To save cost the prisons should be linked with courts through video conferencing for expeditious trial.
- It is aimed to having an effective prison administration system. Separate training course on de-radicalization of prisoners should also be conducted.
Supreme Court sentences Justice Karnan to 6 months imprisonment
- It had been declared by a seven-judge bench headed by chief justice of India Khehar.
- He issued an order of sentencing eight judges of the Supreme Court to five years of “rigorous imprisonment” and imposed a fine of Rs 1, 00,000
- The apex court had in February issued a contempt notice to the judge, who had accused several judges of corruption, nepotism and casteism.
International Current Affairs
India elected to head UN-Habitat, the United Nations’ Human Settlements Programme
- India has been unanimously elected as the President of UN-Habitat for next two years.
- UN-Habitat is an organ of United Nations, which promotes environmentally and socially sustainable global human settlements.
Philippines, US begin smaller-scale joint military exercises
- Philippine and U.S. troops begin smaller scale joint military exercise. It major focus will be on disaster response, humanitarian assistance and counter terrorism.
- This year’s exercises will be based on a scenario of troops responding to a super typhoon hitting the Philippines.
- The 5,400 personnel 2,600 Americans and 2,800 Filipinos will take part.It will be held at the Philippine military’s headquarters in metropolitan Manila.
- The two countries are conducting the yearly training for the 33rd time to ensure coordination and inter operability of their forces.
- Small contingents from Japan and Australia are also participating this year.
Business & Economy
India to grow at 7.7 per cent in 2018-19 – IMF
- The International Monetary Fund has predicted India to grow at 7% in 2018-2019.
- India’s growth is expected to 2 per cent in the 2017-18 fiscal year.
- The main challenge before the Indian economy will be to improve agricultural productivity.
- India is one of the countries that have excellently performing reforms.
Cashkaro.com ties up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers
- Private sector bank Yes Bank announced its tie-up with Cashkaro to launch India’s first Card Linked Offers (CLO) cash-back proposition
- The new launch is an innovative customer loyalty platform that provides online and offline shoppers on which shoppers can avail cash-back offers with personalized merchant deals.
- It is a fully automated program removing the need for additional coupon codes and merchant integrations.
- Customers will receive a message stating their eligibility for cash-back and will subsequently receive upto 25 percent cash-back basis.
Ola ties-up with Airtel to roll out integrated digital offerings to customers
- It aims to offer a range of exciting digital services to customers.
- Airtel Payments Banks, India’s first payment bank, will join hands with Ola app to offer convenient digital payments solutions to customers for their rides.
- Ola Money is one of the India’s largest mobile wallets. It will be integrated as a digital payment solution within MyAirtel App.
- It will mainly address India’s growing communication and mobility needs.
Oracle signs MoU with Jharkhand for cloud-based citizen services
- Its main aim is to improve citizen services and to make Jharkhand an attractive destination for start-ups.
- Oracle will support by its vast portfolio of technology solutions including Oracle Cloud.
- It will also help in building start up centers and aimed at increasing employment and alleviate poverty.
- It will bring smarter, transparent and efficient governance within the state of Jharkhand.
- Its major work is to identify the areas in which Oracle’s latest cloud-based technologies can be used.
- It will deliver improved citizen services and to address the state’s citizen and business requirements.
People in News
Venu Rajamony appointed India’s ambassador to Netherlands
- Rajamony will also be India’s Permanent Representative to the Organisation for Prevention of Chemical Weapons.
- He has served in the Indian Mission in Hong Kong and done two terms in the Indian Embassy in Beijing.
- In 1996, he was also selected for the UN Commission on Human Rights representing India.
- He joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1986.
Presidential awards for classical Tamil presented
- The Presidential Awards for Classical Tamil were instituted by Central Institute of Classical Tamil functioning under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- These awards are presented to distinguished scholars who have made outstanding contribution to Classical Tamil language and literature.
N’GoloKante named Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year
- Kante topped the poll of the 340-strong membership ahead of his Blues team-mate Eden Hazard, with Tottenham’s Dele Alli in third place.
- N’GoloKante is a French professional footballer.
- He plays as a central midfielder for English club Chelsea and the France national team.
Sports Current Affairs
Logo, Mascot for 22nd Asian Athletics Championship unveiled
- Olly Turtle is the mascot of 22nd Asian Athletics Championship Bhubaneswar 2017.
- Nearly 800 athletes from 45 countries will take part in this event.
- The winners will directly qualify for the World Championship in London, to be held from August 4 to 13.