Download : 05th Mar, 2018 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
Odisha Government launches Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas programme
Odisha Government has launched ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas’ (Our Village, our development) programme to reach out to people in rural areas and involve themselves in developmental activities.
- As part of it, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik flagged off mobile video vans that will move across the state to highlight various welfare schemes at villages in the state.
- It will enable people to connect with the government.
- Under this programme, people can directly send their grievances to Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) at Secretariat in Bhubaneswar through Wi-Fi enabled latest technology video wall vans.
- This initiative administration will help people in solving their grievances instantly.
- In the first phase of programme, these vans will reach Koraput, Jajpur, Ganjam and Sambalpur districts of state.
Union Minister Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurates FICCI Frames 2018
Union Information and Broadcasting Minister, Smiriti Irani inaugurated 2018 edition of FICCI Frames in Mumbai.
- 2018 edition of FICCI Frames, the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry’s (FICCI’s) annual convention on the film and entertainment market is a three-day global convention covering the entire gamut of Media and Entertainment Industry viz. films, broadcasts (TV & Radio), Print Media etc.
- Nearly 2000 Indian and 800 foreign delegates from Media and Entertainment sector will be attending this event.
- 35 knowledge sessions will be conducted during the course of this event and 200 high profile speakers from across the world will share their views.
International Current Affairs
India 12th largest overseas holder of US securities in 2017
According to recent figures compiled by US Treasury Department, India is 12th largest overseas holder of US government securities. India’s exposure to it has risen sharply to high of US $144.7 billion at end of 2017.
- The preliminary data from June 2017 benchmark survey of foreign portfolio holdings of US securities showed that total value of such holding was $18.44 trillion. Out of the total, $7.19 trillion was in equities, $10.29 trillion in long-term debt securities and $954 billion in short-term debt securities.
- India holdings in US government securities in 2017 have raised except for few months when total exposure had declined.
- India’s holding of India went up to US $144.7 billion in December 2017, which was increase of little over $26 billion compared to year-ago period.
- In 2017, China was largest holder of US government securities with holdings to tune of $1.18 trillion, followed by Japan at $1.06 trillion.
Awards & Recognition
90th Academy Awards (Oscars 2018)
The 90th Academy Awards commonly referred to as Oscars was held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California (US).
- The award presented in 24 categories by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honouring best films of year 2017.
- The Shape of Water won the most number of awards totaling to four at the ceremony after it was nominated into highest 13 categories.
- It was followed by Dunkirk, nominated for eight categories and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, nominated for seven categories.
- Best Picture: The Shape of Water.
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as Mildred Hayes).
- Best Actor: Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour as Winston Churchill)
- Best Director: Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water).
Appointments & Resigns
Krishna Kumari Kohli: Pakistan elects first Hindu woman to Senate
Krishna Kumari Kolhi (39) from Sindh province in Pakistan became first-ever Dalit Hindu woman to get elected as Senator, member of upper house (Senate) of Muslim-majority country. She won the election for the reserved seat for women from Sindh province.
- She is a member of Bilawal Bhutto Zardari-led Pakistan People’s Party (PPP).
- Her election represents major milestone for women and minority rights in Pakistan.
- Earlier, PPP had elected first Hindu woman named Ratna Bhagwandas Chawla as senator.
- Krishna Kumari has actively participated and worked for rights of downtrodden people of marginalised communities living in Thar and other areas.
Viswanathan Anand wins Rapid event at Tal Memorial
Viswanathan Anand won the rapid event at the 11th Tal Memorial chess in Moscow.
- The World rapid champion finished the event with 6 points while Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (with 5 points) came second.
- The event is a 10-player single round-robin competition where players have 25 minutes to make all of their moves, and receive a 10-second increment from move 1.
Noted Disability rights activist Javed Abidi passes away
Javed Abidi, a disability rights activist, died on 4th March 2018.
- Javed Abidi was the Director of the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP).
- He also held the position of Global Chair of Disabled People International (DPI).
- He had worked for the welfare for disabled people. He had lead protests that urged the passing of the Persons with Disabilities Act in 1992.