Download : 04th Dec, 2017 – Current Affairs PDF
(Download older Current Affairs PDF’s here )
National Current Affairs
Deen Dayal Divyangajan Sahajya Scheme for differently abled in Assam
The government of Assam launched Deen Dayal Divyangajan Sahajya Scheme for differently abled people in Assam.
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu, Governor Jagadish Mukhi and CM Sarbananda Sonowal announced the scheme in the ceremony of Deen Dayal Divyangjan Sahajya Achoni, on the occasion of international day for the disabled persons
- Under the Deen Dayal Divyangajan Sahajya Scheme Assam Government will provide one-time grant of Rs. 5,000 for treatment to the Divyang`s in the state.
- According to 2011 census, India is home to 2.21 per cent of the total 15 per cent of differently abled population in the world.
First phase of Chabahar port inaugurated in Iran
The first phase of Iran’s Chabahar port (Shahid Beheshti Port) which holds significant strategic and economic importance for India was inaugurated was Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani.
- It is Iran’s only oceanic port located on the Gulf of Oman, southeast of Iran near Pakistani border.
- It has been jointly developed by India, Iran and Afghanistan.
- The first phase is expected to increase its cargo handling capacity to 8.5 million tons annually i.e by over three times from the previous 2.5 million tons. It also includes five new piers, two of them for containers allowing cargo vessels with up to 100,000-ton captaincy to dock.
- The Chabahar port allows India to strategically bypass Pakistan and reach land-locked Afghanistan and Central Asian countries, contributing to bilateral and regional trade and economic development.
- Chabahar port will be also key for Indian goods to get access to Central Asian markets and also provide alternate access to landlocked Afghanistan to regional and global markets.
- The project is important as connects trade corridors that pass through Iran to sea route.
- It is also politically significant as it connects Iran with its eastern and northern neighbours and at a later stage to European states.
AROGYA 2017: First International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness sector
The first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness sector- AROGYA 2017 was held in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by AYUSH Minister Shripad Naik.
- It was organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in collaboration with Union Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council (Pharmexcil). Its theme was ‘Enhancing the global potential of AYUSH’.
- AROGYA 2017 aims to:
- Showcase the strengths and scientific validation of Indian System of Medicine in global context. Promote and strengthen awareness and interest about AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa-Rigpa and Homoeopathy).
- Facilitate international promotion, development and recognition of AYUSH.
- Foster interaction of stakeholders and market development of AYUSH at international level. Give boost to AYUSH Products in International Market.
- Exhibit research and latest developments in AYUSH sector and harness its potential.
PM inaugurates unique world-class hospital in Ahmedabad
On December 3, 2017, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a unique world-class hospital at the Swaminarayan Gurukul Vidyapeeth Pratisthanam in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- This 200-bed hospital offers best possible care for any ailment via three systems of medicine viz. Yoga, Ayurveda and Allopathy.
- The treatment process at this hospital combines best of traditional and modern medicine and offers world-class holistic care to patients at subsidised rates.
- PM Narendra Modi is on a visit to Gujarat for State Assembly election campaign. Gujarat State Assembly elections will be held on 9th and 14th December, 2017.
International Current Affairs
International conference on climate change begins in Nepal
On 3rd December 2017, the four-day International conference on climate change began in Kathmandu, Nepal.ICCC2017 begin in Nepal.
- The International Conference on climate change is held to draw attention on climate change and its adverse effects on people in the Hindu Kush mountain range.
- The conference is attended by more than 300 experts from different countries of Asia including India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, and Myanmar. V K Saraswat, member of India’s Neeti foundation is leading the Indian delegation in the conference.
- The conference ‘Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia’ is being organised by Nepal’s Ministry for Environment in collaboration with International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD).
Petro: Venezuela launches new virtual currency
Venezuela has launched its own cryptocurrency called Petro to circumvent US-led financial sanctions. It will be backed by the country’s vast natural resource reserves.
- In this regard, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has approved the creation of BlockchainBase observatory to oversee development and rollout of new of new cryptocurrency.
- The Petro aims to help Venezuela to advance in issues of monetary sovereignty, to make financial transactions and overcome financial blockade.
- Its value will be pegged to country’s vast reserves of oil and gas as well as its mineral wealth, including gold.
- With new official cryptocurrency, Venezuela hopes to overcome economic blockade imposed by US which has caused the country’s national currency Bolivar to lose around 57% of its value in the last four weeks.
Vigilant Ace: South Korea, US launch largest air exercise
South Korea and United States have launched Vigilant Ace, their largest-ever joint aerial drills. The exercise comes after North Korea tested Hwasong-15, its most advanced and powerful Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) as part of its weapons programme.
- Vigilant Ace is annual US-South Korean drill designed to enhance their readiness and operational capability and to ensure peace and security on Korean peninsula. More than 12,000 service members from US will join airmen from South Korea in air combat exercise.
Banking & Finance
Paytm Payments Bank rolls out FASTag across India
Paytm Payments Bank has rolled out Paytm FASTag to make payment of tolls at highway booths smoother.
- The FASTag would enable electronic toll-fee collection on highways across India. Paytm is working with Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Mercedes, Renault, BMW, Volkswagen and Volvo etc. to make Paytm FASTag available for new vehicles purchased across India.
- Paytm said that old vehicle owners can also buy FASTag online on the Paytm app. Customers using Paytm FASTag will get 7.5 % cashback on every toll transaction.
- This project is run in partnership with the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). Each tag is linked to a registered Paytm account to facilitate instant automatic deduction of toll charges.
Appointments & Resigns
British singer Ellie Goulding appointed UN Environment Global Goodwill Ambassador
British singer-songwriter Ellie Goulding has been appointed a Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN Environment.
- Ellie Goulding took up her new role as Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN Environment in United Nations Environment Programme headquarters, at Nairobi, Kenya.
- She is 30 years old. She will attend the UN Environment Assembly on December 4, 2017 in Nairobi.
- Over 2,000 heads of state, ministers, business leaders, UN officials and civil society representatives are gathering at the meeting to find new ways to deal with pollution. Ellie is also backing UN Environment’s Clean Seas campaign.
Rahul Singh takes over as new president of the National Restaurant Association of India (NRAI)
On 3rd December 2017, National Restaurant Association of India (NRAI) announced that Rahul Singh has taken over as its new president.
- The appointment of Rahul Singh as President was made unanimously following the resignation of Impresario Entertainment & Hospitality CEO and MD Riyaaz Amlani.
- Rahul Singh was associated as the Joint Secretary with the NRAI since 2014. NRAI is the voice of the Indian restaurant industry. It was founded in 1982.
- NRAI has its presence all over India. It consists of members from restaurants, suppliers and educational institutes associated with it.
Virat Kohli becomes first captain to score six double ton
On 3rd December 2017, Virat Kohli became the first player to score six double centuries as captain.
- Virat Kohli scored 200 off 238 balls on the second day of the ongoing Test against Sri Lanka at the Ferozshah Kotla stadium. This record of six double centuries is a first as a captain.
- He has surpassed West Indies’ Brian Lara, who held the record previously with five double tons in Tests.
- Also Virat Kohli now shares the record of most number (six) of double centuries for Indian in Test cricket with Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag. He is also only the second Indian after Vinod Kambli to score back-to-back double hundreds.
Deepika Kumari bags bronze for India in Indoor Archery World Cup 2017
On 3rd December 2017, Deepika Kumari won a bronze medal at the Indoor Archery World Cup at Bangkok, Thailand.
India’s Deepika Kumari defeated Sayana Tsyrempilova of Russia 7-3 in the women’s recurve bronze play-off. But, Korean Kim Surin defeated Deepika Kumari 6-5 and Deepika had to settle for third place.
- Deepika won the bronze medal. This is the only medal India won at the Indoor Archery World Cup 2017. None of Indian male archers could make the quarterfinals.
India finishes seventh in the WSF Men’s World Team Squash Championships 2017
On 3rd December 2017, India finished seventh overall in the WSF (World Squash Federation) Men’s World Team Squash Championships 2017 in Marseille, France.
- India defeated Scotland 2-1 in the 7th-8th place match, on 3rd December 2017. India finished seventh in the WSF Men’s World Team Squash Championships 2017.
- The Egyptian team won the championship beating the English team in the final. England finished as runner-up.
- Australia finished in the third place and Hong Kong secured the fourth position in the WSF Men’s World Team Squash Championships 2017.
December 4: Navy Day
The Indian Navy Day is observed every year on 4 December to celebrate achievements and role of the naval force to the country.
- This year is 46th Navy Day. Celebrations of Navy Day not only display India’s technological progress but also the maritime achievements of India.
- Indian Navy is one of most potent maritime forces in the world and the most lethal in Indian Ocean.
- It plays great role in securing marine borders of country as well as enhancing international relations of country through foreign port callings, joint exercises, humanitarian missions and calamity relief.
- The observance of the day commemorates the launch of Operation Trident by the Indian Navy against Pakistan on 4th December, 1971.